Another rose I didn't want

kittymoonbeamMay 12, 2008

I was waiting and waiting for my Heaven On Earth to bloom and it finally did............as an peachy orangy single! Seems like I've been getting so many mislabled plants these last few years. But I expect that from big box stores, not from a major rose grower. Should I send a picture of it along with a letter or should I just call the company? What is the best way to handle this situation. I don't want another bareroot right as the summer heat is comming on. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
athenainwi

Call or email. I've found it easier to get in touch with most places by email. I'm sure they'll want to know about the problem and will do what they can to fix it although that might mean waiting until next year for a replacement.

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 2:10PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Call, but...maybe you'll want to wait until you see the second flush? Many times the first flush of new roses, especially bareroots, don't look like the mature version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaven on Earth photos at Helpmefind.com

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 4:36PM
kittymoonbeam

I took the advice and waited until the rose bloomed again. More petals this time but still not like the Heaven On Earth I have seen elsewhere. Could this be an accidental sport of Heaven? All but 2 of the canes withered away and I can only guess at what I have. It seems almost like but with too few petals and I wonder if the color is off as well. At least it has more than 5 or 6 petals this time around! What would you do.....keep waiting or ask for another plant now?

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 6:20PM
athenainwi

I'd take some pictures and email the rose grower. They should know what is normal for the rose when it is young. If they think it is HoE, then you might want to keep it and wait. Although if you don't like how it looks and it doesn't sound very healthy, then you might want to get another rose anyway. At the very least the grower will want to know that there is a potential problem and they can take a look at their own stock.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™