IU8 Rochester gardens

dodgerdudetteAugust 9, 2011

What friendly and hospitable people we met in Rochester ! A full day of garden touring culminated by a great meal at Marys.

Garden genius Jerry Kral chats with Idylls under this cleverly pruned Sumac. Jerry is a mono-gardener-design hardscape installation, maintenance, he does it all. From IU8 Buffalo

I really liked this simple little water feature. From IU8 Buffalo

His collection of conifers was drool inducing From IU8 Buffalo From IU8 Buffalo

And his variegated stuff ? Oooo-la la From IU8 Buffalo From IU8 Buffalo

He had wonderful garden art too. From IU8 Buffalo From IU8 Buffalo

He said his garden wasn't about flowers, but there were plenty ! From IU8 Buffalo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Bravo Kathy! Absolutely wonderful pics of this fabulous garden. I had to laugh about, "not about flowers" with such beautiful specimens blooming everywhere. I really enjoy seeing the same gardens through your lens. great work my friend!
Deanne

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 7:52AM
chloehoover(z6b VA)

LOL, Kathy and Deanne -- I had to laugh and dispute too that statement he made about "not about flowers" or that he was "only a conifer collector"..... Great little tour, altho there were so many incredible features of his different areas.

I found it fascinating too that (like a retired teacher) he had so many interesting tidbits of knowledge about his plants -- like his discussion of the types of hibiscus syriacus that he used and their habits, and other info he shared - it was like having a special guided tour that one might have paid for from some famous plantsman. Indeed an honor to have met him.

Your photos are great, Kathy - a lot of mine came out overexposed since we were there at the middle of that extremely sunny and hot day. I'll try to dredge up a few of my photos too if no one else posts the amazing green roof shed or some of the other interesting sculptures and combos he incorporated.

-Cindy

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 8:59AM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

All the pictures from this IU are so great. I really wish I could have been there. But, aside from other issues, the heat would have killed me! :-) I missed some fabulous gardens obviously....

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 3:30PM
triple_creek(z5)

I Would have like to tour this one too. Very Nice.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 6:48PM
chelone

That toad is wicked cool... I really, really like him. I also really like the conifers; they're so sophisticated and I bet they look fabulous with a dusting of snow on them.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 8:41PM
michelle_zone4

It looks like a wonderfully interesting garden. I do think guy gardeners can have a different take on things than women gardeners. I think the slate table is quite cool. Thanks for putting these up Kathy.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™