Quotes, 11/1/13

anneliese_32(6)November 1, 2013

Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.
Pierce Harris

Memory...its the diary that we all carry about with us.
Oscar Wilde

The existence of forgetting has never been proven. We only know that some things don't come to mind when we want them.
Friedrich Nietsche

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Nietsche is correct, part of forgetting is also to stash certain things in the depth of our mind, as we don't wish to entertain any thought of them.
I specially like the Harris quote

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 9:59AM
mawheel

I like the Harris quote, too. However, I'm living proof of the Nietsche quote. The other day, DH and I were talking about computers; I said, " You know the one that doesn't have to be plugged in and can be carried around." The word wouldn't come to me till we talked about something else. Then, VOILA! LAPTOP!! There it was, thank goodness! I hate it when that memort lapse happens, and it occurs, more frequently, nowadays.

Unlike Nietsche, I want to remember! :(

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 11:11AM
west_gardener

I like the Friedrich Nietsche quote . I know all the stuff is in my brain somewhere, but sometimes I have a slow connection or I may have "selective" memory at times.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 5:58PM
anneliese_32(6)

I find that my brain could need a reorganization. Bits and pieces are stored highly-pickly everywhere, what I need I can't find and on the other hand the most unlikely memories come falling out when I am not loocking for them or thought them long shredded.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 5:05AM
mawheel

Do you think a casual reader could get the impression we're "not as young as we used to be"? LOL

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:10AM
west_gardener

"the most unlikely memories come falling out when I am not loocking for them or thought them long shredded."
The same thing is happening to me and in a search I came across a study about "mind-pops".
See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mind-pops

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:28AM
anneliese_32(6)

Thanks west-gardener for the article. Interesting. I see my mind as a rather sloppy and overstuffed filing system, where I look for something and while I search, something else falls out and I dicover that it did hours or days later, laying around somewhere, until I pick it up. I never was a good filing clerk.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 9:13AM
surya55_gw

Great quotes- especially #1.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 5:48PM
west_gardener

As a young woman, I worked as a file clerk for many years. To this day, I'm the record keeper, filer, book keeper, IRS record keeper etc. for both family and business.
Now, my brain want to do some "mind-pops". I find that interesting, that's what prompted my search.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
Where are you mwheel?
Miss your postings.
west_gardener2
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™