Help, I've got the itchies

carla17(Z7 NC)June 4, 2007

I am getting huge insect bites. I don't think they are mosquito and I think I'm getting them inside. Any ideas. They are large raised areas. It's driving me nuts or more nuts.

Thanks for any help,

Carla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Try dabbing undiluted vinegar on the bites.

It sure sounds like mosquito bites, chigger bites, something like that, & those things *can* get inside the house.

If you've had a lot of rain this spring, the resulting standing water will have incubated a bumper crop of mosquitoes.

They *could* be fleas (no sign of poor housekeeping, they're migratory & opportunistic), but I think you'd see them.

Spiders secrete an anesthetic so that their victims don't feel the bite, & they often bite sleeping people, so you might not see them, but if they were spiders, I think you'd have bruises & be sick by now...

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 11:27AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

If its a large, raised, hardened area with a visible spot in the middle, I'm guessing spider bite. Every now and then I get them. It seems like the attack comes when I am sleeping. Usually, after a couple of days, the biting stops. Probably crushed the little devil when I rolled over.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 1:19PM
Krista_5NY

I like to use Aveeno bath powder for itchy skin. Take some powder in the palm of your hand, mix with water to make a liquidy paste, then massage into skin. Rinse lightly. Very gentle and soothing.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 4:27PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

So sorry, Carla! Mosquitoes love me and I get awful itchy spots that threaten the sanity.

Cortisone creams - although I can't say I notice any difference, they are always recommended. Maybe they don't last as long. Get the kind with an antihistamine or either take an oral antihistamine, too [not both].

Witch Hazel on a cotton pad is always what makes them feel the best, IMHO. But it doesn't last - you have to keep swabbing them with it.

I had a mosquito follow me through 4 security doors at work - in the WINTER! There were witnesses, lol. I HATE them. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 5:03PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Thanks everyone.
Slyvia, I'm almost convinced they are flea bites. YUK. I don't know for sure but I do get mosquito bites and no bite has every itched this bad. We have been very dry so mosquitos haven't had breeding water. I don't know but I'm going nuts.

Carla

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 7:22PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Ick - flea bites don't do anything to me, but my sister gets itchy welts like my mosquito bites.

The suggestions I gave for for any itchy bite and even light poison ivy.

I've got a light case of PI now - I used to not be allergic but I think that's what I was yanking out of a tree a couple of days ago, lol.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 9:45PM
nickelsmumz8(8)

Flea bites can get this way on me. I'm probably more allergic to flea and mosquito bites than baseline, and they love me. (Ha ha, what a funny joke of fate.) I've had flea bites that got really big. It's worse if I'm already being pollen allergic or whatever.

The good news is that fleas are a bit easier to eliminate. Advantage the animals and if necessary, bomb the house. Vacuum the house carefully and put a flea collar in the vacuum bag, and empty the bag in the trash outside immediately when you are done.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 10:40PM
oldblush(8a, MS)

Carla, if you suspect that you have fleas try this. Put on some very light colored pants and walk around the area where you think they may be. The fleas start hopping when activity is nearby and they'll be evident on your pants legs. I had this problem years ago with my daughter and took her to the doctor before I realized what it was. Flea bites usually occur around your lower legs.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 6:20AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Thank you Nikels and Old Blush. I did not see fleas in the bed. :-(. I still don't know what these are, even the pharmacist didn't know but I have a dr. appt tomorrow for other things so I'll show them. Two of the bites are huge and they look bad when they get older, the other bites that is.

Carla

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 9:02AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Nickels, I apologize for spelling your name wrong. Old eyes you know.

Carla

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
First Vase of the spring
Small vase to start, but just starting to get the first...
kingcobbtx9b
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
Is this Drop Dead Red or Legends?
My garden fell in a state of disrepair for about two...
kublakan
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Sponsored Products
Giddings Scroll Rug 6'7" x 9'6" - OLIVE
$269.00 | Horchow
Orange Quatrefoil Frame
$21.99 | zulily
Monolith Table Lamp by SONNEMAN Lighting
$400.00 | Lumens
KOHLER Bidets San Tropez Bidet Plumbed for Vertical Spay Bidet Faucet in
Home Depot
LightIt! Flood Lights 6-Light Outdoor Silver Wireless Motion Activated LED
$24.19 | Home Depot