Container Mania

triple_creek(z5)August 31, 2006

The containers have carried the garden this year as I couldn't get enough water on the gardens with such heat and lack of rain to make the rest look nice. I love my perrenials,but the containers are helping to dress things up. Norma

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Norma, these look awesome!!!! I love them all. Is that one of those Diamond Frost Euphorbia in with your Felix? That is a fantastic combination. What is that tall purple plant in the third photo? Thanks so much for this thread. I just love containers!

Deanne

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 7:06AM
vtskiers(z6a CentralCT)

Norma, you container piker, you! You've been hiding all these great container combos from us all season. Thanks for coming out...lol.

Sue

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 7:59AM
triple_creek(z5)

Deanne, The purple plant in the third pic is Coleus Midnight Train. Yes that is Diamond Frost with Felix. Can it be propagated?

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 8:43AM
gardeningmary

Norma

Those are STUNNING! You have some lovely pots as well as beautiful combinations. Thank you for sharing with us.

Mary

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 9:17AM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

Beautiful! So many lovely combos. Refresh my memory as to what the purple plant in the 8th pic is. I know we talked about them last year, but I've heard no mention of them this year.I meant to get one, and never did.
I love the 'frilly' white flowers with the dark coleus. What are they?

Marian

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 10:03AM
michelle_zone4

Norma, what a treat to see all your fabulous containers. What great combinations and I love all the containers themselves, you have some beautiful ones. The tall colbalt blue one really caught my eye.

Michelle

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 10:17AM
triple_creek(z5)

Marian, I think you may mean the ninth picture. That is Persian Shield. This was my first year for it. I love the irridessant (sp?) color of the leaves.

The frilly white flowers with the Felix coleus is Euphorbia Diamond Frost. Another first for me. It has bloomed non stop. I'm trying to find out how to propagate it.

Michelle I loved that tall blue pot when I saw it too. I bought quite a few new pots this year. I really watched for sales and bargains. I was really wondering what I was going to do with them all this winter. As it turns out our son came into an almost new wooden portable shed (barn style) he is selling to us half price, and boy do we need outside storage.

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 7:05PM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I didn't see any at the places I shopped.
You have a lot of lovely pots to put your plants in. Mine are the utimate in el cheapo!

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 7:21PM
lmcilhargie

Norma, you've been holding out on us! Beautiful container gardens. Your coleus are so lush and huge! I'm going to attempt overwintering e.diamond frost and another one I have e.faded jeans. You can overwinter the strobilanthis too. It's easy. I do and I believe so does Deanne. You do have a nice collection of pots there. All the better that you got good deals! Thanks for sharing these. I really enjoyed looking at them. I think I'm going to have to add Midnight Train to my collection next year.

Eden

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 8:40PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Norma, I haven't grown that Diamond Frost so I don't know if or how it can be propagated. I'm looking forward to hearing how you and Eden do with over wintering it. Eden is right, I do overwinter my strobilanthes. Last year I top and root pruned a plant and it came through beautifully. I also took what I pruned off and rooted it and got a few more plants that way. I LOL when I read Eden's post about wanting to add Midnight Train to her coleus collection because I'm thinking the same thing.

Deanne

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 10:24PM
wendy2(zone 6 MA)

Norma, what wonderful containers! I love the combinations, and the plants themselves. Thanks for sharing them with us!

I overwintered Diamond Frost in the basement - it lost all the leaves and I thought it was dead, then in March or so it started to leaf out.

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 1:20PM
martieinct

Norma:

Somehow I missed this thread when it was posted. Better late than never: These are Incredible!!

I love the sun container most, I think. My fav combo is the orange impatiens with pink spotted plants. Isn't it fun to use strange sounding color combos in containers?

Martie

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Welcome spring...
I usually spend most of my time on the Roses Forum...
bethnorcal9
Delft Blue Riding Hood penstemon?
When working in the front garden yesterday, I came...
woodyoak zone 5 Canada
Please help me figure out what this perennial is called:)
I got this on clearance from lowes a couple years ago...
mrsmodernhousewife
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™