I was shocked

pete41(9ab FL.)June 9, 2007

to realize I don't know who ``The heavyweight Champeen'' of the world is or even if there is such a glorified personage anymore.Fifty years ago it would have been a name familiar to everyone even if they weren't into sports.Almost as shocked to find kids today have never heard of ``the new deal'' or FDR.

I'm lost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nickelsmumz8(8)

Yeah, and now the kids who used to say "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" are shocked at everyone who has never heard of Sir Paul at all.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 1:02PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Yeah, I don't know if boxing is that big of a deal to have faded away from the mainstream, but the lack of knowledge of history is a pet peeve of mine.

When we were in school, we kept learning the same things over each year and never had time for anything past the Civil War, lol. So bad.

I majored in Poli-Sci in college in large part to finally learn what on earth happened past 1900! Of course, now I forget any details that occurred in the USA before then ;)

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 11:50PM
labrea_gw

I think NASCAR has replaced it....!

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 11:55PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

A Russian dude, Sultan Ibragimov, is the new world boxing champ. (I had to research that one.)

Boxing, at least in the US, seems to have faded in popularity. Trends in sports, like everything else, but I had assumed boxing was a perennial classic.

Although not new, I'm interested to see how popular soccer and ice hockey have become with the youngsters here in SoCal in the past few years.

What nickelsmumz8 says about Sir Paul is too true, but I'm happy to see a resurgence of interest in '40s-'60s style jazz, with performers like Michael Buble and Nora Jones taking the lead.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 11:17AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

Pete, I think Joe Lewis the the champion, isn't he? hee hee.

I never like it as a sport, but I think the training is one of the best.

Sammy

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 9:40PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

The Heavyweight Champ was a big deal because he was an individual. Other sports were team games and the individual was less emphasized. Things have changed.

Professional team sports hardly exist anymore. Now the stars are emphasized. To the team owners, winning and losing hardly count as long as you market your superstar properly.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 8:40AM
ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)

I'm a little late on this thread but I believe "Ultimate Fighting" replaced Boxing. My daughter and son-in-law watch it all the time.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™