Cell Phone Safety

taureauJune 20, 2007

>>A few days ago, a person was recharging his

> >>cell phone at home. Just at that time a call came

> >>and he answered it with the instrument still

> >>connected to the outlet. After a few seconds

> >>electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained

> >>and the young man was thrown to the ground with a

> >>heavy thud. His parents rushed to the room only to

> >>find him unconscious, with a weak heartbeat and

> >>burnt fingers. He was rushed to the nearby hospital,

> >>but was pronounced dead on arrival. Cell phones are

> >>a very useful modern invention . However, we must be

> >>aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

> >>

> >>Never use the cell phone while it is hooked

> >>to the electrical outlet!

> >>

Incidentally, unplug all appliances (cell phone charger etc.) not being used, because even if you are not charging your phone, it is still using electricity. Save your money and conserve electricity.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

OMG, I use mine plugged in pretty often! That's scary. Thank you for the post.

Me, I'm afraid of wet vacs, so you know I'll take it to heart.

    Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 8:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nickelsmumz8(8)

This is most likely an urban legend. There could be a risk if the equipment is defective, as with anything, but this general risk is not substantiated.

Surely you guys recognize the type of thing that is passed around and should be checked out before passing further....?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cell phone electrocution

    Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

OTOH, is there a particular need to use the phone while plugged in if there is more risk of an incident while doing this? I just hadn't thought about it before.

I got thrown 5-6 ft by turning on a lamp in a hotel room. I'm not telling everyone not to turn on hotel lamps, but more caution should be exercised with electrical appliances in general, in my experience.

This tip doesn't seem hard to add to my life if I prefer, so I thank Taureau for it. It's good to know the Snopes write-up, too... but I drop my phone a lot ;)

    Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 9:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

It is also listed on About.com, urband legends and folklore.

Tareau, we have all done this at one time or another. My daughter has caught me passing these legends time and again.

Sammy

    Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 11:30PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Oklahoma or Firefighter
I have both coming. I have 2 spots for them, both...
beaverfoot
Blood meal
The results of the soil test recommend adding .2 lbs....
Gary
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
First blooming bud of my first rose - Livin' Easy
Getting ready to show her colors
dixonticonderoga
For Love of Roses
I received my order today from For Love of Roses. ...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Sponsored Products
Aston Shower Enclosures 40 in. x 40 in. x 88 in. Steam Shower Enclosure Kit
Home Depot
Chroma Japanchef 10.25 in. Chef Knife - J07
$54.95 | Hayneedle
Hydro Systems Jetted Bathtubs Hartford 5 ft. Whirlpool Tub in White HAR6036AWPW
Home Depot
Military Toddler Bed - MILITARY TBED-GREEN
$324.95 | Hayneedle
'Dwell in Safety' Wall Art
$19.99 | zulily
J K Adams Summit Collection Cutting Board - Martin - SC-MARTIN
$83.00 | Hayneedle
Cherry GroVert Vertical Planter Frame Kit
$79.99 | zulily
Fluted Square 9-Piece Cutter Set
$13.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™