Dolphin encounter

pete41(9ab FL.)June 27, 2007

I was wade fishing about 30 feet from shore in the Halifax river,this morning.A couple of the resident river dolphin were working a channel about 100 feet farther out.When they were even with me one suddenly turned right towards me and came full speed ahead.It stopped abruptly about 50 feet away and broached,coming almost completely out of the water.It then made quite a commotion ,whirling around and slapping head and tail.After a few seconds of that it joined its companion and continued fishing as did I.

Can't say if it was warning me not to make a nuisance out of myself or saying``hi guy'' to a fellow fisherman.I have seen them dozens of times and had them acknowledge my presence by staying a controlled distance from me but this was the first time I ever had one use a bear type of bluff attack.Never heard of one attacking people but in some areas of Florida its almost impossible for boat fisherman to land fish as Dolphin follow them and will steal the fish without getting hooked.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Hey, that is cool. A whole world I know nothing about. The dolphin was probably warning you, but I prefer the "Hi guy" interpretation. At least he acknowledged your presence.

Thanks for sharing--I really enjoyed that vignette.

Kate

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 8:56PM
cajunrosegal(10 south florida)

Have you thought maybe there was a shark in the vicinity? They are rather protective of us non flippered friends. I would love to get that close to a dolphin! Hopefully now that Im here I can!
Angela

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 4:27AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Are you sure it wasn't a disguised forum moderator?

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 7:44AM
pete41(9ab FL.)

I guess I was in its extreme discomfort zone as they usually make a half circle in an arc almost as precise as if they used a compass.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 8:17AM
starshadow

nice story, Pete, wish I could have been there--can just smell the salt air and hear the dolphins coming up to breathe--

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 8:39AM
darbardi

Hey, good story. Felt like I was there when I read it. I felt more cautious than you did.
Very funny Harry.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 11:18AM
labrea_gw

What kind of aftershave where you wearing?

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™