To Buy Extended Warranty Or Not To Buy

taureauJune 25, 2007

Extended Warranty. Do you purchase extended warranties or not? I don't buy the extended warranties, and now I have some support for my decision. The new consumer report said, a resounding "NO". The only exception is on the new rear projection TV. But it should never cost more than 20% of the purchase price. Just thought you'd want to know.

Ton ami, T

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

We do for our vans. The monthly charge is easier to pay than the sudden huge cost. We don't on appliances, just the vans - 2 vans a large and a small.

Sammy

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 11:35PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Hmmm, I always do. That said, MAN aren't the prices for them getting crazy now? For computers, I try to figure what all I could buy for the warranty cost and use that to decide.

I stumbled upon 'Square Trade' warranties for e-bay sellers. I buy a lot of computer parts on e-bay, new, through Square Trade sellers now. It's certainly a reasonable cost and contracted to cover a lot.

'Course I haven't had to use it yet... I only hope there isn't bizzarre small type that sticks it to the buyer. That's the other big problem with warranties, IMHO.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 9:43AM
vjcamp(Z7 Euless, TX)

We have only bought them for Large Televisions. Didn't need one for the Car- we bought a KIA- great service and great warranty.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 7:57PM
mjsee(Zone 7b, NC)

Bought one for my little Nikon...and it has already paid for itself. (Camera got dropped Christmas Morning and they gave me a NEW one on the 26th!)

We generally DON'T buy them for things that come with good warranties...like cars and vans. Am considering buying one for the new washer and dryer when I get them...but must research more.

melanie

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 11:08AM
twohuskies(z4A Mpls, MN)

Well thank GOD I bought one on my new microwave last fall. The darn thing quit working and after 2 service calls last week Best Buy decided to replace it with a new one. I suppose technically it was still under manufacturer warranty but I've had really bad luck with microwaves so I figured it was worth the extra $$. Most of the time I don't buy an extended warranty though.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
Rose Fields
La Sumida off the Patterson exit in Santa Barbara,...
Kippy
Crazy about Rose Buds!
There are times during this new season of roses that...
sara_ann-z6bok
Pierre de Ronsard/ Eden climbing size question
I plan to train Pierre de Ronsard and it's new dark...
Adrianne
Palatine roses in Ontario...
Has anyone ever ordered from Palatine Roses? If so,...
scott_madison
Sponsored Products
Le Corbusier LC3 Style Armchair-Oatmeal Tweed
IFN Modern
Primo Oval LG 300 Ceramic Smoker Grill
Overstock.com
18 Ga Sink 2 Strainers 2 Grids Cutting Board
PLFixtures
Wasaga Collection 7 1/2" High Chrome Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Thermocast Kitchen Wentworth Drop-in Acrylic 25x22x9 0-Hole Single Bowl Kitchen
Home Depot