Using hoops to hold plants in center of pond

catherinet(5 IN)April 3, 2012

I've never done this, since my ponds are so tiny, but someone has asked me about it for her lake and I suggested something like a hula hoop to hold plants together. Then she asked what keeps them afloat..........and I hadn't thought about that! Suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have seen hula hoops used to contain floaters. They float. I've also seen styrofoam used like that which you use to insulate pipes with.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 5:38PM
annedickinson

I believe it is the air in the hollow hoop that keeps them afloat. I don't know if you have to seal them where they connect though. Someone here uses them (maybe goodkarma), so hopefully they will chime in.

Anne

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 5:38PM
catherinet(5 IN)

So is it only floaters that people use in the hoops? I guess I'm confusing the hoops with something like the smaller round styrofoam things that have a pot in the middle of them.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 8:48PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

I have used a hulahoop to corral fish food and hyacinths. It works very well if you put a leash on it to hold it in place. I had to tape two together to prevent the food from washing out.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 2:12PM
annedickinson

Catherine,

Sorry I misunderstood your question. There are a number of ways to create a "floating Island" We've had threads about them before. Two ways I have used are:
1. Using a hard foam circles found in the florist aisle and attaching a liner for a wire planter and filling with pond "soil" or pebbles.

2. Cutting small holes in a kneeling foam pad and sticking the bare roots in hosta & ajunga worked great for me. I think others have mentioned impatients too.

You can buy floating islands, but they are pretty expensive. Below is a link to some of the threads on the floating island subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floating Island Thread

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 7:16AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks Everyone!

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:42PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

I snagged some soft frisbee's out of the target dollar bins and am finding them pretty handy for floating islands.

~dianne

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:09PM
basilbird(z6 RI)

I use grey pipe insulation to contain my plants. You can just ties the ends together or, if you want a place for baby fish to hide, use a black laundry basket (I get mine a Dollar Store). Tape a couple of pieces of pipe insulation around the handles with electrical tape. The laundry basket provides a good place for baby fish to hide and it keeps tender plant roots safe from hungry fishies!

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:54AM
frankielynnsie(7B)

If you are looking for a small inexpensive hula hoop they are available for $1 at the Dollar tree. They have ribbon wrapped around clear plastic tubing and the thing that holds the hoop together is easy to remove and silicon for water tight seal. I am making mini water lily protectors with these hoops and big hole netting.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™