common vine that doesn' climb

tsknJune 28, 2013

I bought a new house and I cut this vine-like plant down awhile ago. It is growing fast now and every which way along the ground but it doesn't climb ...its just growing far and wide. I'd like to know what it's called and how people use it for landscaping. Do I need to train it and if so how? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Looks like periwinckle ....its a ground cover vine and does not climb

Ian

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 11:18PM
alisonoz_gw

Maybe because the plant I'm thinking of is an aussie native cultivated elsewhere now - it looks a little like Pandorea jasminoides ("Bower Vine"). If correct, it's not a vining climber but needs support like a trellis or trunk or pergola to "climb" and failing that, would certainly go spreading out on the ground in search of something to use for that.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 3:22AM
Carrie B(6B/7A)

Agree with ians_, looks like Vinca minor, aka: periwinkle. Tskn - it is often helpful if you indicate where the plant is growing - city and state or similar - notice that I've got that info included above, next to my user name.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:17AM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Those look like compound leaves to me.
Any chance we could see anther part of the plant?

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:07AM
florauk(8/9)

I don't know what this is but I am pretty certain it isn't Vinca minor. Those look like pinnate leaves to me too. What climate is this growing in?

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:54PM
carol23_gw

I believe it's Southern California from a search on other posts.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:04PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

If OP is in southern Calif, there are 2 vines that came to my mind. At first, I thought it looked like Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine), but I went out & looked at mine & there is no terminal leaf. So not that one.

The other, Pandorea jasminoides, as Alison suggested, does have the terminal leaf & it is 2-pinnate (compound?), as Saltcedar asked about. Let's see if the pic I just took came out well enough to see. Each leaflet has 2 to 3 pairs & one terminal leaf. Hard to say, but it seems that way in Tskn's photo. Tskn can compare to theirs.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:46PM
tskn

thank you everyone. I do think it is Pandorea jasminoides, but I've yet to see it flower. I am in So Cal. It is growing all over the ground so I better get pruning!

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:30PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

We trained ours up a lattice (we attached to posts/fence). It puts on quite a nice show. =)

Pandorea jasminoides
Click for larger view

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Shrub ID
Last summer, just after we bought our house, I hired...
katisu
What is this magenta plant?
Can anyone identify the magenta plant in this image...
Steve Baker
plant Id please
I'm in sc.
deanna12061979
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™