Maybe a Mentha

jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)June 28, 2013

I found highly branched plants this morning that were about 4 feet tall. They had leaves to 1 inch wide by 3 inches long on 0.6 inch long petioles that were smooth. Stems were also mostly smooth. The flowers were just developing from leaf axils toward the top of the plants as shown. I did not find any hairs in the inflorescence. Although the plants had a strong aroma of spearmint when bruised, they did not key to any of the local species in this area. IâÂÂm sure that the species would be easier to determine if the plants were mature. However, this field may be mowed before that event occurs. Is this M. aquatica? It doesnâÂÂt seem like the flowers will be clustered tightly enough around the stem for that species. I guess I should mention that the lower peduncle in the second photo is about 0.75 inch long (for perspective).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Do post this one when it blooms. Owing to the pedicels and peduncle I'm thinking it's in a different genus.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:59

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:06AM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Thanks saltcedar. I worked through all of the Labiatae options in the Arkansas keys, and didn't find anything that seemed likely. I'll post back when there are mature flowers.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:36AM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Saltcedar asked for a follow-up post when these plants bloomed. They had clusters of flowers on stem ends, as shown below. I believe they are Bergamot Mint (Mentha citrata), because of those rows of pale, yellow glands on the sepals.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:09AM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

First Ligustrum; now Mentha, wish these plants (genera)
would stick to their botanical descriptions!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Silver and Fuzzy
Bought this as an annual last year, but it's living...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Plant name?
I need your help to find out this plant name. Thank...
xorxe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™