fluffy brown floating slime

steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)April 30, 2014

periodically I get poufs of fluffy brown stuff floating in my pond. When I net them out, they turn to slime. The last couple days, there have been lots; most of the time there aren't any.

What the heck are they? My pond looks good otherwise, fairly clear water, happy, active fish.

I call them puffy pooh balls, but decided not to use that as thread title...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mossybert

I had the same issue before....it comes and goes. when you grab the puffy pooh balls, do they seem foamy? I had that slime grow on my waterfall rocks and I would have to gently pull it off....I hated that stuff. :(

I think it's kind of like a blanket weed, but brownish in color...I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. After a couple years, mine went away.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 10:23AM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

I think it's either something different from what you have or manifesting itself differently. This stuff forms discrete puffy clumps an inch to 4 inches in diameter.

Since it's puffy in the water but collapses into slime as soon as I take it out or disturb it, I suspect it has something to do with gas (methane?) forming on the bottom, then lifting the yummy nitrogen-rich sediment to the top. I dump it on pond-side plants; they don't object.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:10PM
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

My guess is that it is DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) and you may need to do water changes more frequently.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™