Starbuck coffee grind

sakura2006July 6, 2009

We have Starbuck coffee shop near from my home and I want to go there and ask for used coffee grind to fertilize my roses.

My question is do they give away used coffee grind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Yes, they do, part of Starbucks' Grounds for your Garden program. But, the grounds aren't a fertilizer, they have a minimum amount of nitrogen. They are primarily used as a soil conditioner and in compost. If you apply it directly on the soil, don't make it more than 1/4" - 1/2" thick, or it will form a crust and water won't be able to get through. But, as you apply over time, the micro herd (look up "Soil Food Web") will break it down, and you can apply more.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 10:55AM
sylviatexas1

Coffee grounds are earthworm candy.

& earthworms are your best garden friends, opening tunnels in compacted soil, "processing" nutrients, excreting the wonderful earthworm castings...

You may run across a Starbucks that doesn't give away grounds, either becuase it's a franchised location, like the ones inside Target stores, or because the manager is a toot & has told the staff that the health department won't let them put back the grounds.

The first time someone told me that I just gaped.

If coffee grounds are a health hazard, why did the city let you open a coffee shop???

& even if they were a "hazard", if throwing them out nightly is acceptable to the health department, why don't you just bag them separately & let someone else haul them away every evening?

If your local gardener can't make it that day, *you can still put them in the trash*.

what was the question?...

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 2:26PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Sylvia, you need a nice cup of coffee... ;-))

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 2:46PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

My DH loves to see how many bags he can get in one year-LOL--

It is kind of a mess to seperate the filters

Any suggestions what to do with the filters??

the worms love them---

Florence

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 5:19PM
carlota(So. Calif. z.9)

We dump the filters or sometimes compost them. We brew enough coffee here that we don't need to get more. Another good use for coffee grounds is a bath scrub for the alleged prevention of varicose veins. I'm not sure that it works but it smells yummy.
Used tea is also great for the garden. And if you smoke the used up bags work great on cleaning ash trays.

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™