Should I have done it?

anneliese_32(6)November 11, 2012

This morning I killed one of those furry looking house centipedes while it was on it's way to a closet.

Then it dawned on me, that I really don't know anything about those critters. The outdoors centi- and milliepedes, yes but what do the indoors ones eat. So I looked it up and I think I should have kept it. They eat spiders, bed bugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Interesting - we don't have those critters here - I probably would have thought it strayed into the house and put it outside, where likely it would have perished (hard freeze this morning)
I'm sure you are not going to kill it's relatives, now that you know who they are :)

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 12:19PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Was it this guy? I think it's probably a draw... as long as the idea of waking up with one on you is OK with you. That's what would have me smashing it. Way too fast to catch & release outside.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:39PM
anneliese_32(6)

Yes, that's the one. They once in awhile come in when the back door does not fit tightly because that corner shifts slightly, depending on soil moisture.
A spider is a snail compaired to those guys.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 5:10PM
west_gardener

There are such things as "house centipedes"? Good grief, I don't care what they eat, they would not be welcome in my house. Yes, to your question " Should I have done it?"

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 6:34PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Eww!!!!...Stomp!!!!
If you have enough other critters in the house to support their existance...you indeed have problems.

I had a colony of shrews a few years back....the shrews and their food source are now gone...I hope!!

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:00PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

House centipedes are 'fairly' common visitors in my house at certain times of the year. Can't say that I'm thrilled about it because they always seem to end up in the bath room...even in the shower. That does NOT make me happy! Better than a spider in the shower, though.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 10:40PM
calliope(6)

They come and go with how much moisture we have, it seems and with the seasons. Particularly on the shower curtain. It's a 200 year old house with triple course brick walls, both on the interior and exterior, that means a dead air space for three stories from the cellar up. It's part of living in a house this old, in the country. I imagine they are after the spiders, who are after something else. I don't have cooties, fleas, roaches or bedbugs, so I'm not complaining. It's just the predatory chain of command.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 28 - 15
When you get into a tight place and everything goes...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™