Shark Attacks ???

pagan(8b)August 10, 2007

Yesterday's news on a local station : "2 tourists may have been bitten by sharks off the Isle of Palms. They may have been treated at a local hospital - police may be investigating."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla17(Z7 NC)

Oh hello, we are headed down there next week.
LOL, do you have a pool?

Carla

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 9:27AM
iowa_jade(C 5b H 6)

So a shark takes a nibble or two, a much maligned cute fishy, jellyfish are the real PAIN in the ocean. A shark will usually spit it out the "yucky" while jellyfish you still have to swim through them to get to shore or if you know they are there: head for the pool in the first place.

Here is a link that might be useful: A fine day at the beach indeed!

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 9:35AM
pagan(8b)

I have only been stung by jellyfish once in all my mumblemumble years of living near the ocean... and only actually seen a shark between me and the shore once too! Notbad odds...

I LOVE the glow-in-the-dark jellyfish display at the local aquarium! If ever I get an aquarium that is what I want... far too cool!

I also enjoy watching the octopus in his big glass cage, but it always cracks me up. I swear the octopus looks like a big ole' scrotum - and I defy anybody to study one and tell me it doesn't!!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:26AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

I want to see the glow-in-the-dark jellies when I come!

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 11:53AM
Molineux(6b)

As a child I was stung by jellyfish or pinched by crabs more times than I'd like to count. Such is life living on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. While snorkeling off the Florida reef I saw enough sharks and barracuda to make me swear off the ocean entirely. There are just too many creatures beneath the waves that like to bite/sting and you can't see them coming.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 5:16PM
pete41(9ab FL.)

Funny-the news is talking about shark bites as I started to read this.Two people got nibbled this weekend here at Daytona Beach.I have to admit I think about being the first to be attacked by dolphins as I am kayaking and they come within feet of me.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 5:38PM
pagan(8b)

I think there are just more people in the water, hence more chances of somebody being munched! Pete - I have heard about people being bitten by dolphins - they are still wild animals (the fish, not the people) and should be treated with respect!

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 7:55AM
pete41(9ab FL.)

I meant the mammal-they are intimidating when they are as long as the boat-lol

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 8:50AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Hilton Headies told me this weekend you have to use something like a credit card and scrape the "thing" that the jellyfish leave when they sting. I'll just lie in the surf like a whale.

Carla

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
When to remove winter protection so it doesn't rot, basically?
After last year's killing Polar Vortex, this winter...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™