death to all fruit flies!

pagan(8b)August 24, 2007

Somehow my computer area has gotten infested with fruit flies! It needs a good cleaning and spraying - DH just got handed his first honey-do today!!

(ain't life grand?!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pete41(9ab FL.)

I believe you mentioned you may have been a policeperson.That being the case or even if you were kidding,you should know better than making violent threats.With the Michael Vick case getting 24/7/365 coverage you have to assume Peta and Spca headhunters are anxious to find more wrongdoers.
Therefor your best plan of attack would be to ``zap em'' then claim self defense or you were protecting loved ones.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 6:50PM
bettym_grow

pagan, you made me laugh! I agree btw, they are so darn fast when you try to swat them, I think they are quicker than regular flies.

What has me intrigued is that they are around your computer? that is weird, did you drop something on your keyboard? Hmmm.

Betty

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 7:25PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Put a little wine or apple cider vinegar in a glass and trap them!!! It's the only thing that's worked for me. I think the heat here killed ours. LOL

Carla

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 9:33AM
athenainwi

I swear the darn things live forever. I used to work in a fly lab and one day they followed me home. I never did get rid of them before I moved. Oh, and don't worry Pete, fruit flies aren't classified as animals. We're allowed to do whatever we want to the flies in the lab and I've done horribly cruel things to them.

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 7:54PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Get a little toad to live in a potted plant on your desk :) :)

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 11:22PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I use that sticky fly paper and fly swatters. It takes awhile, but that gets them.

Sammy

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 6:51AM
pagan(8b)

LOL - good advice all! Actually, I think the wine idea is what attracted the flying fiends in the first place - I routinely eat, drink and make merry while at my computer!

(Pete - as a former policeperson, I gotta say we rarely make empty threats!! Who the heck is Michael Vick? is he the sports guy who was into dogfighting?? Anyway, looks like the fruit fly population is on the decline - and spraying tons of bug spray around the computer doesn't seem to have hurt it any...)

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™