Squirrel in the House

jody(7b - NC)August 18, 2009

We've recently moved from the country to the city - long story. Nice old house, good bones, neglected. Good thing DH can fix things. My MIL loves the place though, her Maj friends and church friends all live within blocks so the place is chockablock full of little old ladies all the time.

DH is in Buffalo taking a turn nursing an Uncle who is recovering from stomach cancer surgery.

The dressing area (mine all mine one of the nice things about this house) had a piece of cardboard taped over a hole in the ceiling (see paragraph first). DH told me it covered an aborted attempt at installing a skylight (skylights all over the top floor).

Woke up in the night to a strange chittering noise and all the fur kids (one dog, three cats) went absolutely bananas as the same time. They quited down, I fell back to sleep, only to have the sequence repeated three more times. It was obvious the fur kids thought there was a beastie of some kind in the master bedroom suite.

When I got up in the morning, I discovered pink insulation all over the floor and the cardboard that had once covered the hole in the ceiling on the floor. Something had obviously entered from the attic.

I woke MIL to tell her (she has the MIL suite downstairs). Just as I got ready to leave, small squirrel comes running by followed by the whole pack of fur kids. Felco (dog) caught it first, flipped it in the air and Baxter (cat) caught it second. At that point, I opened the back door and sent the lot of them outside. In the intervening seconds, Maggie (cat) had somehow gained possesion of the squirrel.

Obviously there is access to the attic from outside somewhere. Foolish little squirrel to tiptoe into a house with a dog and three cats.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

First of all---congratulations on your new home-----I love old houses ----be careful of the old insulation----
My friend had a squirrel come in through the chimney---they had to hire an exterminator to get rid of it----

Your MIL must be so happy living near her old friends---sounds good to me

Were you able to bring some of your roses with you.

Nice to hear from you.

Florence

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 7:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

Does the squirrel have easy access to the roof? My friend has chosen her trees over preventing access to the squirrels. I think they got a roofer to more or less seal acces to the house from the roof.

I don't know about exterminators, but it is a good idea to catch it live inside so that it doesn't stink up the house for months, and require large sections of the wall to be removed and replaced.

Sammy

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
How cold and for how long?
Last night's hard freeze wasn't that hard at my house....
stillanntn6b
For those looking for Poseidon/Novalis
Heirloom Roses has it! I was so excited when I saw...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
Sponsored Products
TerraTrade Victorian Black Garden Border Fencing Set
Overstock.com
8403 4" IC New Construction Airtight Ready Housing by WAC Lighting
$86.50 | Lumens
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Power Pack Outdoor Black Low Voltage 300-Watt
$81.12 | Home Depot
House of Troy Polished Brass Counter Balance Piano Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bocci | 14.1 Single Pendant
$350.00 | YLighting