I miss the old days

kittymoonbeamAugust 6, 2007

Remember when you were a kid... you got an earache and they gave you a big nasty shot and you were feeling pretty good lickety split?

My ear was feeling kinda sore and I thought i'd go have it checked out because I'm a wimp when it comes to that kind of pain. The Dr. who was a cheerful young lady gave me some drops and sent me home. That's when the real pain kicked in. The next day I was back and could hardly sit up in the waiting room because of the pain. The second Dr. ( reminded me of House) said the neomycin in the drops had inflamed my ear canal and swelled it shut. So he gave me some new drops and sent me home. I am thinking what?! No friendly shot that used to terrify me as a kid?! How your perception of things change! I guess they don't do that anymore unless you are really really sick. Anyway, now I know what the cruciatus curse feels like. I remember that some of you are living with pain on a regular basis and my thoughts are with all of you as I hide in my bathtub in the dark.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nickelsmumz8(8)

Ear pain is amazingly painful. I do live with a chronic pain condition and I still remember getting an ear infection at age 18. I thought I was gonna die (but not without doing a lot of screaming first). IIRC they put me on oral antibiotics and decongestants. Did they tell you to take decongestants? I don't know if it's right for all ear problems but I sure remember the Sudafed helping with my ear.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 11:45PM
pagan(8b)

Hnag in there kitty! Hope the drops kick in soon - would an ice pack - or a heating pad, help?? When all else fails, alcohol is a friend to chronic pain!

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 6:23AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Kitty, I understand what you're saying. If you went to the doctor sick, they fixed whatever it was - now we wonder if they will even know what to fix. A poke of penicillin, and we'd be sent home with more to swallow, but by the time we got home we were already feeling better from our throat, ear, fever problem.

And what is the deal with common colds these days? It seems like when we were kids, something over the counter (which probably isn't available now whatever it was), warm pajamas, Vicks on your chest, and a cup of tea and you could actually feel cozy, comfortable, and sleep yourself well in a day or so.

I've only had one earache but remember it well, missed a tree planting field trip in junior high :). I hope you feel better soon!

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 12:43PM
kittymoonbeam

Thanks everyone. It is slowly getting better. I miss being out in the garden during this nice weather. My sister is so sweet- she brings the roses in and tells me how great they are. I can see the little flaws and notice that a particular one doesn't have the usual fragrance. She thinks they're all fabulous. I remember there was a time when I was a new gardener and looked at my flowers that way and didn't judge them so severely. I was so happy if they bloomed at all.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
How cold and for how long?
Last night's hard freeze wasn't that hard at my house....
stillanntn6b
Reine de Violettes
I dug it up and moved it two years ago. It was own...
deervssteve
Blood meal
The results of the soil test recommend adding .2 lbs....
Gary
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
Potting Or Planting New Bare Root Roses?
In the past, I have planted most of the bare root roses...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
Cut Out Chair in White - Set of 2
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
Sara Floor Lamp by FontanaArte
$648.00 | Lumens
White rattan laundry hamper square handles
Origin Crafts
Uncle Sam Figure
Grandin Road
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Beige/Green 2 ft. 3 in. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Villagio Entertainment Center in Hazelnut - 58097
Great Furniture Deal
Possini Euro Woven Rings 23" Wide Chrome Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™