Pond Makeover

gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)April 8, 2012

Well, it took much, much longer than I expected; but the water holding portion of the pond makeover is complete. Huzzah!

I'm still doing some finish work on the edges and with the plants but all-in-all the heavy lifting is done. All of the construction paraphernalia that littered our front porch for a few months is put away.

It was an interesting and fairly fun project. EPDM liner, oh my gosh - the stuff is a heavy dang beast. The serial killer that struck in the night and decimated half our fish and frog population - beware if I ever figure out who you are. I thought for sure our fish in a wading pool on our covered front porch with 100% surface coverage of floating plants, plastic floating plants and floating frisbees would be safe. I was wrong. We lost 5 fish and 2 frogs.

I need to practice water tight seals. On the other hand, pumping water out of the pond to the raspberry patch made for lots of yummy snack breaks.

I also need to learn more about the over-winter care of tropical lilies. Mine are finally making an attempt at coming back. They might not have been very happy in the small tubs I stuck them in for the extended pond rebuild.

Sigh .... Why oh why does everything take so much longer than I think it should?

On a more positive note, I was able to get a 4" schedule 80 PVC pipe under the sidewalk, so the next expansion is a go. And hubs is even thinking it sounds neat. And my in-laws ask when I'm going to start digging.

ha-ha. I don't see them volunteering to help with this digging part .

The dragonflies and frogs have moved back in. Fish are swimming around chasing surface bugs and stuff. Pollen is falling like crazy. I'll stick some activated charcoal and batting in the pump box later this week to clear out the pollen. And, I am so much enjoying upgrading from a lunchbox pumpbox to an 18 gallon tub pumpbox.

Link below is to a bit of construction history.

Gosh, this garden pond is so much fun!

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Our small pond

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

Dianne,

It is so lovely. I agree, the "doing" part of the pond always seems to take way longer than anticipated in the "planning" part!! haha. It sure is worth it though.

Anne

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 4:34PM
vegasneon(9a)

I went to your website and read it all. Pretty cool. So does the water come out of your tall fountain from the bottom or spill over the basin edge? I mean when it returns to the pond.

Smiles,
Rebecca

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:54PM
Oscarmatic(CA z10/23)

Hi, Dianne. It's been a while since you posted this, but I wonder if you're still around if you might comment on how the dragonflies and frogs moved back into your pond after reconstruction. Did you do anything to encourage them? Did you save any tadpoles or nymphs to move back into the pond?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My question about how to save dragonfly nymphs

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 12:21AM
More Discussions
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™