Coffee not soap

sammy zone 7 TulsaOctober 30, 2006

I drink my morning coffee from a plastic mug with a lid. Once a week I run it through the dishwasher, and the rest of the week, I just rinse it. I don't put sugar or anything in it, and this seems perfectly sanitary.

The day after it goes through the dishwasher, I taste the soap. How do you clean them, and keep them from having the soapy taste? I drink form those mugs that you can get from Barnes and Noble. I also take one to school, and might have the same experience in school. I am not sure whether the soapy taste is from the mug or the lid.

How do you clean them? I wonder about soaking them in vinegar or some product that would help me avoid the soapy taste.

Sammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tandaina(WA (8))

Don't use the dishwasher? I don't even OWN a dishwasher. I don't like the residues they leave on dishes and none of my dishes are dishwasher safe anyway.

My coffee mug at work is one of those insulated cups with the "travel" lid. I just pop the lid off and wash it with a soapy sponge. Then rinse, never a soapy taste left. I do wash mine every day though when I switch from my morning warm beverage to my afternoon water.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 8:43AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I just avoid washing it at all. All natural. Hell, the coffee they make in this office will kill any germs which remain. It also dissolves any insects which wandered into my cup overnight.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 9:07AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Yes, I agree, hand wash your coffee mug, it shouldn't take but a minute to wash it out with a soapy sponge (or paper towel) and rinse it thoroughly.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 10:19AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

I have several Starbucks mugs and I lay mine down in the top rack once in a while. Never had that problem with soapy taste. Maybe a seal is broken or there is a leak somewhere on your cup. Otherwise, I handwash mine with a brush and hot soapy water. I drink my water from the poisonous plastic bottles. I also chew on plastic straws so I guess I'm doomed.

Carla

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 12:43PM
theroselvr

Find a metal mug. It's probably the plastic clinging on to the soap

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 8:54AM
iowa_jade(C 5b H 6)

Paper towels leave a residue also. I prefer clean water and my pristine fingers to get the crusty bits out. Air dried mug of course!
It is also a good way of getting the dirt out from underneath ones fingernails, especially the stubborn dirt.
I agree that coffee is a great de-bugger and anti-bacterial agent.
Fair trade coffee is much better than the stuff usually offered- give it a try.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 12:22PM
sylviatexas1

Do your other dishes taste soapy after they've been through the dishwasher?

If they do,it's the dishwasher, the water, or the detergent, not the mug.

If they don't, just handwash the mug with soap & water as recommended above.

Did you know you can freshen your coffeemaker by "brewing" a mixture of vinegar & water?

Discard (or compost) the vinegary water & brew a 2nd pot, using plain water, before you make coffee.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 3:00PM
ursulita(z5 IL)

Use baking soda to clean it! It's the miracle stuff for cleaning tea and coffee mugs.

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Planting Rose in Square Container
Hi, I am wondering if I would have any problems planting...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™