Fried chicken

carla17(Z7 NC)October 30, 2006

All my life I've always had chicken fried in cast iron skillets and that is how I've always cooked mine. Never thought mine was that good.

I borrowed a large heavy pot which could be called a dutch oven from my mother. I used ground red pepper in my flour and some Texas Pete in my egg wash. I used peanut oil and got the temp. up to what the recipe said. That fried chicken was great! After removing it from the oil, I put some fresh ground pepper on it. It was perfectly brown and I think frying in the black skillet lets it absorb more grease than this deep fry method. I am going to be on the lookout for some fryer than I can use outside because I don't have a vented cook top and I can't tolerate the smell in the house. I don't see why I couldn't use a turkey fryer with less oil.

We never talk about much on here anymore so I thought I would share my chicken story.

Carla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Yummmm, Carla, sounds great. That seems very much like the fried chicken I watched being cooked on Paula's Home Cooking a while back, but I haven't tried it yet.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I fried a chicken - I generally roast them whole with a half lemon and some garlic pushed inside on one of those vertical roaster frame thingys. So good, so easy, and one of these days I'm even going to remember to take one rack out of my oven BEFORE I preheat so the chicken isn't rubbing it's neck end on my oven top.

I've got an old fashioned range hood with vented fan that does a so-so job, but I could be less sensitive to cooking smells in my house than you. You'd have hated being here two weekends ago when I canned 4 cases of tuna with the windows open and fan to my heat pump running on manual...my neighbor was painting her front steps and told me she could smell it :)

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 5:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelalreadytaken

Dutch ovens are great for frying chicken as is peanut oil--fresh ground pepper meets one of its best uses on top of fried chicken too.

Glad you had a success story there.

MichaelAT

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™