volunteer squash, winter or summer

mrswynnJuly 17, 2008

I'm new to the site and to gardening, so please bear with me! I decided to let a volunteer squash grow out of my compost and now I can not tell when I am supposed to harvest it. It is yellow with a green circle around the bottom and turns a bit orange when left on the vine. It starts out small and kind of regular summer squash shape but then grows large and round like acorn squash. I picked a larger one (football size maybe) last night that had been on the vine for a few weeks. When we cut it open it looked a lot like acorn squash (except yellow orange) with pumpkin like seeds. The shell is relatively soft. The meat was thick and cooked up almost like potato. Very starchy. Is this a summer squash that I left on the vine too long? Or a winter squash that I should have left on the vine longer? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

1. Summer squashes have been selected from the same species of Cucurbita as many of our winter squash -- C. pepo. The horticultural distinction between the two is that summer squash are "bush-type" and most winter squash are vining (a few, newer cultivars are "bush").

2. Summer squash, when allowed to mature fully, develop an orange hard rind, pumpkin-like seeds, and dense-starchy interior.

3. Winter squash can be picked early, without a hard rind or orangey (or other) color and lighter interior texture.

4. Volunteers in the garden are often hybrids of any of a number of Cucurbitas, including between summer squash and winter squash and exhibit intermediate characteristics.

Joe

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
blakrab Centex
unidentified house plant - foliage
I have had this plant for years, cutting from a great...
PeterScholten
What is the name of this plant?
Found this plant in a ditch out in the country and...
jakebb212
blakrab Centex
Help identify please!
Picked it up from home depot, titled "houseplant...
loveydovey71321
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™