The old oak, called

lilosophieNovember 6, 2012

"The Hangman's Tree"

When we moved onto this property, the oak was a bit younger and it had a dead branch sticking out at a right angle, reminiscent of the scenes in old Western, when the rustler was put on a horse, noose slipped around his neck and the good guys slapped the horse on the rear and made it run and the rustler met his just deserts, so we called it the hangman's tree.

It is the biggest and oldest tree on the property, a landmark.

Mistletoe grows on it, and it's hollow trunk is home to an endangered salamander, many species of birds live in it's branches.

The house you see is Joann's and she looks directly into all that life going on in the tree.

Thought perhaps you like to share the enjoyment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Nice.....

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 5:47PM
anneliese_32(6)

Aren't old trees great? I must say I have a love/hate relationship with large and old oaks. Love them 90% of the time, but then comes fall and falling leaves....!

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 7:35PM
mawheel

Beautiful picture and beautiful tree, Lilo. I hope it isn't too close to Joann's house, though. In light of all the downed trees in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast areas b/c of Hurrincane Sandy, it might be a hazard, some day!! Esp. with the hollow trunk.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 7:39PM
mawheel

Beautiful picture and beautiful tree, Lilo. I hope it isn't too close to Joann's house, though. In light of all the downed trees in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast areas b/c of Hurrincane Sandy, it might be a hazard, some day!! Esp. with the hollow trunk.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 8:20PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Thanks for sharing the photo. There's just something about trees, especially old ones -- their sturdiness and connection to the earth.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:39AM
Castaway_Kitty

That is a beautiful old tree! I love oaks! I even like them when they've lost their leaves & you can see all the lovely kinks in their branches.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:04AM
west_gardener

I don't know much about trees so I searched oak and came up with the page below. The next time I see an oak, I'll sit down and meditate.It is a mighty tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Oak

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 7:51PM
mawheel

West gardener, that was a fascinating site. I'd carry an acorn for protection agains "illness and pain", but the other four things--even youthfulness at this point-- I think I'll pass on! LOL My neighbor has some kind of oak in her back yard, so I can get lots of acorns. I will remember to "ask permission and show gratitude", though!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:41AM
anneliese_32(6)

My niece in Germany informed me that the Horticultural Tree Registry finally gave permission and will trim a branch of our oldest oak. It destroys the roof tiles on the house. It was already 100 years or so old when the Thirty Years War started. Makes me feel like a Mayfly.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:43AM
sara_the_brit_z6_ct

Superstorm Sandy felled a 400 year old oak in my step-daughter's small town - it's a local landmark, was truly lovely. The whole town is mourning it's loss.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 4:58PM
west_gardener

Oh my gosh, a 400 year tree being "felled" is a source of sadness.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:12PM
mrobbins(6b - Brooklyn)

In Ukrainian culture, a tree dying is a Very Bad Omen. It means a person nearby will die suddenly.

I've always been impressed with big old oaks. Eastern White Pines, too.

What a terrible thing that climate change is making trees into threats.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Happy birthday Robin and Pam
My partner for b'day along with Pam. Three threes...
don_socal
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™