playing with fstop

michaelalreadytakenNovember 14, 2006

Just playing with f-stop.

Higher f-stops produce a greater depth of field (a greater total area of sharpness)

The focus point of the two "identical" lavender photos is the lavender at the very top of the photo about 1/3 of the way from the left edge.

The first shot is f22 and the entirety of lavender blooms is more or less in focus--but the intensity of the purple color is less than in the second photo.

The second shot is f3.7 and the focus point is a more intense purple but you'll note that the photograph becomes progressively blurred as one moves from the focus point down to the bottom and that it's more noticeable in the flowers than in the matte foliage.

The first rose is at f3.7. Again you'll note that the rose in this photo is a tad sharper and a tad more saturated than the second photo.

The second photo is f22 and you'll note that all the leaves are much sharper than the the f3.7 photo (but the rose is a tad off.

Conclusion:

If one wishes to take a photo of a single rose or a small, closely confined group of roses, then a lower f-stop is preferable.

If one wishes to take a photo of an entire rose bush laden with blooms then a higher f-stop is preferable.

As an aside, all the exposure values were arbitrarily brought back to zero for purposes of comparison. The f22 photos, suffering from lack of saturation, could probably be easily fixed (given sufficient ambient light) with a simple EV manipulation... but that's another subject.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla17(Z7 NC)

Michael, that first one looks like Mexican Heather or salvia. I used to have a bush, so soft to the touch. I'm glad you are taking pictures.

Carla

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 8:17AM
michaelalreadytaken

Umm... now that you mention it... yes, it does.

LOL.

MichaelAT

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 5:15PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

That's one of the great things about the new digital SLR cameras. You can shoot in "aperture priority" mode. You choose the f-stop and the camera will auto set the rest. It is an easy way to teach yourself about photography. One of the most important lessons is to see beyond your subject. As Michael points out, you have to be aware of the background and determine if you want to see it clearly or blur it out.

Thank you Michael.

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
am I too impatient w already-leaved bareroot in container?
hello! My bareroot had already leaved out quite nicely...
Need2SeeGreen
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™