When to plant About Face in zone 5

redwolfdoc_z5(5)November 2, 2013

Hello!

I'm pretty new to rose gardening (but enthusiastic)! I ordered two bare root About Face roses this fall, which I expect to arrive sometime in the next two weeks (mid-November). Does anyone have advice about planting them? Should I put these roses into my beds as soon as they arrive or pot them and keep them in the (unheated) shed or otherwise store them until spring... I don't want to lose them before they begin! It's been a fairly mild and very wet season this year, with no frost as of yet and temperatures above freezing. The nights are going to get cold soon, however.

Just FYI, I currently have a Julia Child which is gorgeous and performs wonderfully, a Wild Blue Yonder which is great in the spring but is unremarkable after the first flush, and a Blue Angel climber that hasn't done much of anything in the three years I've had it. It's been in a somewhat shady spot behind the JC though. I moved it to full sun earlier this fall and am keeping my fingers crossed for next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

You posted this on the Conversations site. Why don't you try to re-post it on the Discussions site? You might get more responses there.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 7:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

Thanks Sammy - as it happened, I put one in the bed and one in a pot in the shed. Both seemed to survive the winter (amazingly) but three weeks after transplanting it to the bed, the potted AF upped and quit. The other one is doing fine, if a little slow to get started. In the future I'll post this sort of thing on Discussions. :)

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Heirloom roses website
Hi, I've been trying to order roses from the Heirloom...
bellarosa
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™