At least we won't be having leftovers for a week

gandle(4 NE)November 25, 2011

We stayed home over Thanksgiving and instead of turkey George went out to a farm where a woman sells dressed ducks. I let him cook it since everytime I have tried duck in the past it has been oily and fat. His was delicious, rich not oily or too fat. Will have just enough to snack from as a leftover. Miss the oyster dressing though but the duck was really good. We used to always have roast goose for Christmas but gave that up about 5 years ago. Finding a good one and then coping with the rendered grease became a problem. They were really very good though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconut_nj

That is nice that he duck was so good, even though leftovers are missed. Maybe a turkey for Christmas. I'd like to get a heritage fresh turkey one of these days, but it's hard when money has been so tight and you get a free one from your local store. Even our IGA [Independent Grocers Assoc] gives up to a 20 pound turkey.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 12:41AM
lilosophie

Roast Duck sounds great, but like you, I haven't been able to really do it right and it gets too greasy, the has to be a way!
In Germany roast goose is the traditional Christmas meat, I remember mother draining the fat and using it for cooking and spread on bread, I think she mixed it with some lard - that was what one ate, no one worried about cholesterol and no one gained a lot of weight. But then we walked everywhere and our apartments had no elevators, maybe that's what offset all that rich food.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 10:04AM
calliope(6)

I fixed a big Mexican meal for supper tonight, because I do not want to eat turkey meat again for a year. LOL. I raised geese for a few years and can't even imagine what it would be like to have to 'dress' one of them for roasting. I hatched them out in the incubator and they followed me around like children. I can bring myself to butcher chickens, but I don't think I could have done it to my geese.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™