A South-Facing Border; Ideas Welcome

martieinctSeptember 3, 2006

This is the border around mid-June

This is the border today -- wish there'd been more light.

And the fruits of the garden :-) Thanks for a lovely weekend!!

Martie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

Very pretty! And so neat! My beds are a shambles. I 'do' have one sedum with open blooms, but certainly no roses! My echinacea are long past blooming, excecpt for a wayward flower here and there.

Bookmark   September 3, 2006 at 5:51PM
triple_creek(z5)

It's filling in nicely Martie. Did Rich make your trellis?
Love the bouquet with the painting. N

Bookmark   September 3, 2006 at 10:31PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Martie, what a good looking border. You've planned that out well and it looks like it is filling in beautifully. I love the flower arrangement with the painting. Did you do that painting? I love the selection of flowers in that.

Deanne

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 7:40AM
lmcilhargie

Martie, you've done a great job on the border. It's filling in so nicely. And those are great trellises. I too love that painting and the bouquet on the table echos is so nicely. It's great that we're seeing pictures of your beautiful gardens! Thanks!

Eden

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 9:10AM
vtskiers(z6a CentralCT)

Wow, Martie, the border has really filled in nicely! As you may have picked up, I have a love/hate relationship with sunny gardens so my advice would be limited to bomb proof everblooming roses, upright grasses, and tropicals...lol...ie: stuff that doesn't flop. You may want to work some purple foliage in there as well-maybe a purple leaf Cotinus or Physocarpus that could be coppiced annually to control size. It would really pop against the light colored house.

Sue

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 9:31AM
martieinct

I love the idea of something dark between the trellises, which Rich did not build. Neither did I -- an incredibly good deal at Ocean State Job Lot.

Yes, it has filled in, but a lot of it is annuals. The front of the house is set tangerine, purple, maroon with splashes of lime. This side of the house directly faces a neighbor and has many Z7 microclimates, enough for four or five good-sized perennials.

The herbs are happy here, so I don't want to move them. Their textures, colors and scents make that unnecessary.

Ideas for in-between?

Oh, and BTW, LOL the picture being my handiwork. I've seen Deanne's work and theory and have assured her that I'm better off "not touching." LOL

Martie

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 5:12PM
michelle_zone4

Martie, the border looks lovely. I can see Sue's point about the dark foliage against the light house.
What a great combination of the roses and sedum.

Michelle

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™