Think Thanksgiving 1937 was probably the last time

gandle(4 NE)November 23, 2010

that I had squash pie for the dinner. Grandma always made pie from Hubbard squash. It did taste a lot like pumpkin but with our own rich thick cream, hardly needed whipping, it was delicious. Don't know whether or not I can trust my memory but I believe it did taste even better than pumpkin.

Hubbard squash grew to enormous size and were so hard that gandad had to split them with an axe but the flavor of them baked was incomparable. One winter we had so many that grandad even split some and fed them to the milk cows who seemed to really enjoy the chunks of squash. They would contentedly chew them for it seemed like hours.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilod(NoCal/8)

I guess Hubbard squash is out of style now? I don't know, are they also called "banana squash"?
It's not a vegetable from my past, I learned about squash after I came to America, but I did adopt it right away, there is no squash I don't like

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 11:14PM
agnespuffin

It seems as if our "pumpkin" pies were always made with sweet potatoes. Now, when I taste a real pumpkin pie, I am always disappointed.

I may be mistaken, but I think that down here, the sweet potato pie is the Thanksgiving pie.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 8:23AM
nan_nc(28766)

I remember Hubbard squash from when I was very small. Those things were MUCH bigger than I! And when some was desired for dinner, my dad was sent to the woodshed with an axe to whack off a chunk. We have had such success with butternut squash the last couple of years, I think I may have to try Hubbards, and maybe even make"squash" pies.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 5:04PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Squash doesn't taste "pumpkin-ey"...you know like the inside of a Jack-o-lantern.
I have a squash growing friend...I'll have to ask him to grow some hubbards next year. I think they are smoother and taste better than acorn or butternut.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 8:16PM
posieh(3)

Don't think Hubbard squash are out of style, I love them, but they take a long, long growing season which we don't have here.

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 2:01PM
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

If you ever eat pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin, you may have eaten Hubbard squash more recently than you realize!
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/ingredients-pantry/canned-pumpkin-what-is-it-really-made-of-069123

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Butterfly Conservatory in Key West
Lots of photo opportunities at this place. I don't...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Photos from my recent cruise.
Coral World in St. Thomas. My first time there was...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™