in neighbors yard

pzmaybee(5bMi)July 21, 2014

wondering what this vine is growing along my neighbors fence. the stems are very dry and woody and flowers are fragrant. most importantly, how do i propogate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Campsis radicans, trumpet creeper. Btw, looks like milkweed underneath/behind it.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:34PM
seedmoney

Campsis radicans, aka Trumpet Vine. The leaves of this one are pinnate. Easily propagated by air layering. It's native here in North Carolina, but I find it aggressive. Attracts hummingbirds.

This post was edited by seedmoney on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 20:45

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:35PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Rather than "How do I propagate?" it's more a case of "How do I keep it from invading my yard?"

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b840

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:30PM
Deeby

Even in a pot it's a thug. I finally threw mine out.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:33PM
pzmaybee(5bMi)

thanks for the info and the warning. after clicking the link for more infor i think i'll def pass on this one. so pretty though.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:22PM
calliope(6)

I used to drive by a house in town with that growing up the side of the house. It was never attended to and one day when I went passed it, it had succeeded in swallowing the little cottage. It was scheduled for demolition anyway, to make way for more stores in a shopping district, but glad I got to see it finally consume the house before the whole shooting match was demolished. I planted one on our country property once. It took years to annihilate it but this year, in our woodlot, my spouse saw a large splash of orange in the woodlot. Sure enough, surrounded by trees and thickets, one had managed to grow the size of a Volkswagen.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Mystery desert plant wtih bright orange seeds
Hi there! This plant was found while hiking near Tucson,...
kellibee1111
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™