Squash? Melon?

mrsmig(z7 NoVA)July 21, 2008

Several weeks ago, I noticed what looked like a melon or squash plant coming up in my vegetable garden. I decided it probably came from a seed from a previous year's planting (although it could also have come from my compost bin). Now that the plant is fruiting, however, I don't recognize the fruit.

Any guesses?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Such a small picture, but looks like a squash

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 10:06PM
mrsmig(z7 NoVA)

Sorry, I was having trouble getting the site to accept the photo size. Here it is again:

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash? Melon?

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 8:44AM
remy_gw

Hi,
It looks like a cross of squash that happened in your garden, or you grew a hybrid. Either way odd new squash will appear this year. It happens quite often. If you remember what varieties you grew last year, you can figure out who the parents are.
Remy

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 11:48AM
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

Hi: Just wnted to add my two cents worth but too me your picture displays the characteristics of an ornamental gourd. Not sure but I would venture to say a gourd. Ross.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 2:47PM
remy_gw

Ross,
Ornamental gourds are actually squash(Cucurbita pepo.) There are gourds that are a separate species(Lagenaria siceraria) like birdhouse gourds are. Often when a couple of squash that are of the C. pepo type cross like possibly a yellow summer squash and an acorn squash, they end up looking very much like ornamental gourds as in Mrsmig's pic.
Remy

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 6:46PM
mrsmig(z7 NoVA)

Thanks for all the input. I haven't grown squash in my garden in years - the last time it was basic yellow crookneck. I'm guessing that the seed either came out of my compost bin (where I have composted gourds/ornamental squash in the past), or was transferred to my garden by an obliging bird.

In shape and color, the fruit on my plant is someone reminiscent of Carnival squash. I have noticed that my larger fruits have developed ridges and some warts. Has anyone grown Carnivals before, and do they look anything like my plant's babies before they mature?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for Carnival Squash

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™