More on bad bad dog

peachiekean(z10A CA)December 16, 2007

Kathy, sorry to put a bummer on your thread. But what I say is true. In the end it does not matter what destruction they wreaked. Our Cookie chewed through wooden doors, broke windows to run away (noise phobia and anxiety disorder in her early days before we discovered Clomicalm). She had nine lives. In 1996 we rescued her from a hospital where a dog organization had saved her from death in the inner city pound. We took her home after her front legs were healed from being broken. She soon showed us her destructive ways by escaping anyway she knew how if a noise set her off and we were not at home - thunder, fireworks even wind. Once we had a call from a local saloon up the street where some bar floozies found her at the back door. We had been out to a party or something that night and the ladies played with her while trying to contact us. Another time she found herself about 3 miles from here when some people found her at their door. Over the years we tried everything (crates were a piece of cake to her) but in the end, she lived a very happy life with us. Total destruction to the house we sold in 2004 was $5000 in repairs to door jambs, sliding glass window door handles, windows, doors etc. In our new house she found mostly peace - only once chewing on our new shutters (actually twice, now that I recall). She was the softest, sweetest dog. We miss here terribly. Thanks for listening.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowa_jade(C 5b H 6)

I have had the pleasure of having three dogs in my lifetime. Not sure what was on the previous thread.
1) a beagle which we had to put down the old fashioned way for chicken killin.
2) a red cocker (looked like a minature irish setter) who was "entire" until I left for college and my stepfather had to pay the animal control fines himself.
3) an English Springer Spaniel, Augusta L. Pooch who lived to a ripe old age. I have forgotten all of her faults if any. My wife no doubt remembers a few as I am only allowed cats now.

Cats are OK, I guess.

Bummer!

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 11:15AM
kathy9norcal

Mary, I am so sorry about your loss. I do know what it feels like. I still can't talk about losing Toby without getting teary. Dogs are something I choose not to live without, but it is ever so hard to lose them. It is inevitable, though.

And for the destruction, ours has only been a bunch of magazines we would never look at again (dh is a hoarder of sorts) and a tasty rice paper picture album (not the pictures inside). Lacy is very mischievous but seems to know exactly how far she can go.

Mary, you are a good person for taking in your prescious Cookie and making her a part of your family for better or worse. I also believe that it is a forever commitment when I take a dog in. But we really never know how long that forver will be, do we.

It will get better. Just feel the sadness as long as you need to. Could we get a photo of Cookie?

Kathy

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 11:15PM
peachiekean(z10A CA)

Kathy, thanks for your kind words. Everyone has been crying this week as Cookie was all about love. Here is one of our decent pics of here - it's not easy to get a picture of a black animal.

Bookmark   December 21, 2007 at 9:27PM
kathy9norcal

What a sweetie. Thanks for posting it.
Once again, Mary. So sorry for your loss.
Kathy

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 4:32PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Oh dear, Mary, sorry to hear about Cookie, what a dear pup she was. It's devastating to lose them. I'm still not recovered from the loss of Teddy-Bear. Do something for a rescue organization if you can, in her honor, as a memorial--it does help with the healing process...

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses and their offspring
I would like to learn more about roses that have reputations...
sara_ann-z6bok
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™