Oh yes I do

oscarthecat(z7MD)December 7, 2010

remember Dec 7, 1941. We were living in a two room house and garage on the south east corner of 4th and Robert St. My Dad was building us a new home there. He and I were working inside that when my Mom came out and said, Come listen to the radio the Japs have bombed Pearl Harbor. We went inside and listened for awhile then Dad put on his nail apron and we got back to work. Not that my Dad was an unfeeling man but he knew there was nothing he could do about Pearl Harbor and he had a house to build. Steve in Baltimore County.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gandle(4 NE)

That changed things forever didn't it. Nothing would ever be the same.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 10:29AM
mawheel

I was eleven years old at the time and we were visiting friends--a usual Sunday afternoon pasttime. I remember feeling frightened and also excited, frightened b/c of my parents' serious words and faces, and excited b/c it was all so new and different.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 3:16PM
anneliese_32(6)

Even though I was on the other side of the Atlantic and opposite side of the war, I remember when on our radio the short theme music for "Sondermeldung (special anouncement)" interrupted the program. It shifted the whole power structure of the world.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 3:44PM
mwoods

I was all snuggly in my mother's womb on that date but am sure on some level must have felt the tension and shock of it all.My very first memory was of the day the war was over,I got knocked off my tricycle by some woman running down the street screaming. Will we ever learn?

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 4:43PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

Just like Anneliese, I was on the "other side" and I remember that there were rumors that Hitler was not pleased with the Japanese's actions, he was not in favor of involving the US in the war and had plans for the Japanese to invade Russia from the Asian side. Of course, they were rumors, but in some way it makes sense...

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 4:48PM
west_gardener

I have no direct personal experience of this date, I was too young. But I'm glad that the US decided to take action and stop WW11.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 7:12PM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Gandle, I agree with that. Steve S.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™