The short life of new appliances

meldy_nva(z6b VA)December 31, 2013

Just read CR's latest article on appliances... the story was about *when* to repair, but what caught my attention was that the age of don't-bother-to-repair-just-replace seemed to be mostly at 4 to 6 years. Okay, I do understand that great advances have (finally) been made, and new models are more energy efficient and sometimes even better for the environment. But better for the wallet? My old refrigerator uses about $65 of electricity a year and cost about $300 --- 25+ years ago. Ditto the freezer (using about $125 yearly). New models of comparable size and freezer area each will (maybe) use about $25 electricity a year but will cost over $1,000 (going considerably down in storage area could shrink the cost to about $700 each). Those might be fair trade-ups, but not if one has to seriously face replacement in just a few years.

I think I'm going to have a talk with the old refrigerator and freezer... maybe I can convince them to keep on working for another decade or two.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

I am soo agreeing with you, my dishwasher is 28 years old, it stil chugs along and keeps the dishes clean, Refrigerator is 13 years old, needed one major repair @ $200.00+ a couple years ago and I
was better off repairing than replacing it - a new one of the same outside dimensions would have much less storage area because of the thicker insulation,which makes it more energy efficient.
At my age and income, I just hope they will be with me until I go

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

My old washer is still chugging along.

The other night I had a dream that I was in a store, checking out washers and driers. I opened the lid to a top loader and saw a "like" button in the bottom of the tub. I started to push it, but I woke up before I reach it. Lol, I'm on my computer too much,

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 3 - 15
Late afternoon on the West Coast ends with the sky...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 19 - 15
In the depth of winter I finally learned that there...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™