What kind of moss is this?

beauinbell(7)July 4, 2013

It grows in northwest Washington state and thrives in full sun atop either sandy or humus-rich topsoil. It started popping up all over the place this spring for the first time. It's not Scotch nor Irish moss.

Thank you for looking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Sagina?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 3:14PM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

I think saltcedar got it. The plant looks like one I've been hoping to see here - maybe Sagina procumbens (Matted Pearlwort). That one has just 4 petals, instead of the usual 5, and seems to match your photo.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 3:27PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I also have some volunteer non-Irish moss which impresses me as more "weedy" (less thick or compact) than the "true" Irish moss I've seen over the years. My volunteer has the nasty habit of dying once it's set seed, and I'm unable to find any at the moment in its usual location to count the petals and sepals.

Here's USDA's page for the various Saginas:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SAGIN
Five are listed for Washington state, as well as two others for British Columbia.

Years ago when I was trying to identify mine, I never got as far as figuring out whether it was S. decumbrens or procumbrens. But I did save a link to this page with good photos of the 4-petalled S. decumbrens:
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/weedspeciespage/pearlwort/pearlwort_page.html

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 4:06PM
beauinbell(7)

Thank you, saltcedar, jekeesl, and missingtheobvious! This was about to be my second "Oh, that would look great in my garden so I'll spread it around" mistake (the first was foxglove). It's too bad, though, because it looks attractive and slugs don't touch it at all compared to my now slug-decimated true mosses like Irish and Scottish. Time to adding weeding to my to-do list. Thank you again for your selfless aid!

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 2:15PM
gardengal48

Ummm, Irish and Scotch moss are not "true" mosses - they are just another species of Sagina (Sagina subulata) like the photo above, both of which seem to be quite slug resistant in my garden. They do need decent, well-draining soil to thrive and are not the best choice for a lot of shade.

Creeping thyme would be a reasonable substitute for your Irish or Scotch moss if slugs really are an issue.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 3:32PM
beauinbell(7)

Slugs, a shady spot, and caterpillars were too much for my Irish Moss. Thank you for the "true mosses" correction. Creeping thyme looks promising. Thank you!

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
Help to identify this truly silver shrub please
This is growing in a south facing front garden. Partially...
amyrodwyer
Mini "weed" growing in a pot ID
Pot was outdoors all summer. Growing in a pot indoors...
true_blue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™