how many gph - your opinion pls

kashka_kat(z4 WI)May 12, 2010

Hello, could I get some opinions on what size pump to get for a new 700 gallon pond with goldfish - either a 950 or 1200 gph?

For my old pond (175 gal.) I was advised to turn over the water around 1.5-2 times per hour so I got a 360 gph pump and it served me well - have had healthy fish and clear water for 12 yrs now.

For this new pond I would like to take the same approach -however these larger pumps require considerably more energy (watts) to run so if I could get by with less gph maybe I want to do that......?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondmaninal(7b)

I heard that you only need to turn your total volume over once every two hours.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:47PM
chas045(7b)

I have 7 or 800 gallon and I have a 2400gph pump. I am more interested in the waterfall spill rate and it looks about right. My Laguna pump is aledged to be effecient and only 100 watts. They are a little more expensive.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 10:51PM
pondbucket

I've always read where you shoot for turning the pond's capacity over once every two hours, but also heard " more is better" and many shoot for 2x that amt.

I planned for a 2000 gal pond and after head loss on the pipeline, etc. my two 3900 Laguna mag drive pumps probably are putting 6000 gal/hour over my falls (when I have both pumps running). I don't think it's excessive, but I have a wide weir.

Mag drive pumps are more energy efficient and safe (no oil). I'd go bigger, 1200 gal/hr.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 12:35AM
garden_mama_66

My pond is about 950 gallons. I have been using 2 separate 500 GPH pumps. I had a turtle which puts out LOTS of waste. However, he didn't survive the winter so I am considering cutting back to one pump. I have done pretty well with water clarity and couldn't remember the last time I lost a fish. I don't have water falls though, just a skippy filter. I would think you would do great with the 950. Could probably do even less unless you have a really heavy fish load.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 12:48AM
hardin(7 SE OK)

My pond is about 900 gallons and I have a waterfall. I am using a 3100 gph pump, but with some pipe friction and head loss, I am probably turning the pond over twice an hour. So far, so good.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™