Fish Sick - with Pics

chris_in_ctMay 8, 2011

Hi All,

I just noticed that my largest fish has some spots on his body. There are some whiter spots above/behind his eyes and then some apprent sores behind his dorsel fin. Please take a look at the pics below and let me know what you think. The pics aren't that clear - sorry - in the midst of a mild algea bloom as my system comes up to speed, post-winter.

Behavior-wise he seems to be doing fine. Appetite is normal, although he does seem a bit "skittish" when approaching the pond. But, he did that last year too right after winter and took a month or so to warm up to us.

See pics below. Thanks,

-Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodkarma_(5b)

As long as your fish is eating and the water is clean I would leave it in the pond. Hard to tell from the pics but looks like it may be missing some scales and got banged up a little. Good clean water with good nutrition might be all it needs. Try soaking your fish food in some orange juice for added vitamin C. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 5:38PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

My fishies have similar spots this spring. I don't know why it happened but it is obvious they aren't stressed over it. It has happened to a couple of fish in the past. The scales haven't grown back so far as I can tell since the spots haven't changed.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 7:26PM
mike_il(WChi)

The two spots on the head appear to be scrapes and are no big deal. The spot by the fin is hard to tell in the photo. Does this spot move on the body at all. I can't tell by the photo for sure but it could be fish louse. If you can get a better picture or does any other fish have a spot that looks somewhat like this one?
Mike

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 9:01PM
chris_in_ct

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mike, I'll try to get a better photo. I do not know if the spot moves yet, just spotted it for the first time today. Also, do not know if other fish have anything. I'll try to check more carefully over the next day or so - however, I didn't see anything today after a cursory look.

How do fish louse come to be? My fish were all healthy last year and had no problems going into winter. Since I started my pump and cleaned my filter about a month ago, I have not added any fish, plants or anything else to the pond. If it is fish louse, I assume it can be transferred between the fish?

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:19PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

They can even be brought in by birds or other critters that visit your pond. Parasites are a common problem.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
How to Make THE Floating Island
Floating Islands are very expspensive. The size I wanted...
goodkarma_
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
dog pond
Dog pond/pool pics Image link:
shelab15
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™