RoseNut

lucygoose(Zone 5/N.W. In.)January 16, 2014

Hi All.....it has been a while for me to be here....But thought if any old timers where here, you might like to know Karl Bapst passed.....It was here I meet him....He lived in the town next to me, and I went to him small year full of roses before he moved......I have seen him around here and there in his wheel chair still selling roses....LOL

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nwitimes/obituary.aspx?n=karl-f-bapst&pid=169119835&fhid=4991

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Lucy, thanks for telling us, and for the link. Karl had so much knowledge, and he was so willing to share.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:21AM
floridarosez9

I've been wondering about Karl since he hasn't posted lately. We used to email occasionally. I really miss seeing him here. He was a wonderful person, and I will miss him.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:38AM
buford(7 NE GA)

Karl was a great resource. I still have his 'recipe' for rose feed. He was also an all around nice guy.

RIP Karl.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:43AM
Campanula UK Z8

Aw, so sad. A nice guy.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:30PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

He was a lovely, lovely person with a wealth of knowledge. We were so fortunate to have him as a member here.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 1:26PM
lucygoose(Zone 5/N.W. In.)

Oh good....some remember him....I will be going to the funeral home Friday.....

Yes, He was the nicest man!!

RIP Rosenut!!

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:07PM
Terry Crawford

Karl was the reason I came to love and successfully learn how to grow roses in my Zone 5 garden. He taught me how to plant a grafted bareroot so it made it through our harsh winters, since we live in the same basic climate. He had a wealth of rose knowledge that was so vast and he was always willing to share. I am so fortunate to have some of his roses in my gardens such as 'Taboo' and 'Jean LaJoie'. I'll miss him.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:12PM
fig_insanity Z7a E TN

For anyone not familiar with Karl, check out his website. I just paid a memorial visit and it both depressed and uplifted me. I hope the site stays up for a while longer...

Here is a link that might be useful: Karl Bapst/Rosenut's website

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 3:19PM
moroseaz

Another great rosarian that we were fortunate to know, maybe not in person, but through the wonder of the internet. Karl was an inspiration to many of us.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 3:52PM

Thanks for posting the link, fig.......I hope it stays for ever.....

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 4:22PM
thedogsLL(6B)

Oh, no...I had mentioned trying to find his email on another post. I'm so sorry I didn't have more of a chance to get to know him. I do know that when I contacted my local rose society here in New England, I think in 2012, he was the one who answered, with a very impressive amount of information. His website is indeed an inspiration, thank you for sharing.
LynnT

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 7:33PM
thonotorose

This is sad to hear, but I just imagine the garden he is in now....

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:36PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I emailed Karl from time to time within the past year...
I'm sad to hear this news... :(

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:30PM
kittymoonbeam

where can we send roses? There must be roses for our friend Karl

Thank you Karl for everyone you helped

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 1:25AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

"In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Taltree Arboretum & Gardens, 71 N. 500, Valparaiso, IN 46385"

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 6:19AM
opheliathornvt zone 5

What a loss. His Internet presence was so positive.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:27AM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

I knew his health has been going down hill during the past couple of months. The stroke he had several years ago put a hole in his gas tank and he finally ran out of gas. Such a loss. I've known Karl since the mid 1990's. Met him a a ARS national convention. We talked about the Garden Web sponsoring a "Best of Show" trophy. He spearheaded the whole thing. He use to visit Florida all the time. Popped in on me one day while I was pruning my bush's in February. We talked about rose culture and the difference between growing roses in Fl and growing them way up north. He was very sharp and loved to grow his roses the best he could. I'M going to miss him.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:56AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Karl was one of the people who kept me interested when I first joined the Rose Forum 12 years ago. A great guy who always found time to offer help. Every time I felt my roses were too much trouble, I'd remind myself that Karl succeeded big time from a wheel chair. A true inspiration.

He will be greatly missed.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 1:19PM
seil zone 6b MI

Oh, that is so sad. He will surely be missed by many people and I know I will miss him here very much.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 4:19PM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

I, too, had occasion to correspond with Karl a time or two over the years and always enjoyed his posts here. He was knowledgeable and encouraging. And yes, he was truly inspiring to other rose growers before - and maybe especially after - his health challenges. What determination!
I will miss him.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 6:45PM

I was able make it to the wake....his little wife is such a sweet lady. Talked with one daughter...there was all kinds of Rosenut things there.....I am so glad i went....such a loss to my area. I wished I would have been more in contact with him.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 3:13PM
yougojay(Zone 7a)

This is really sad to hear, thank you for posting the news. I always enjoyed reading his posts and checking in at his website from time to time. My condolences to the family, Jay

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Is this the dreaded Rose Rosette?
I only recently found out about RRD but I thought that...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Blooming right now.
On the first day of Spring yesterday I went around...
caflowerluver
Before you order...
I have been propagating a lot of roses this past year,...
bluegirl_gw
Why did all the leaves on my rose just fall off?
I was able to propagate a rose from my daughters wedding...
soranch
First bloom on a new bush - I like it !!
Crescendo - A new one for me. Hope it always looks...
suebelle_neworleans
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™