burning garden area to kill weeds
Hi all, I am new here. In doing a google search about the benefits of burning my garden sight, I came across a discussion posted in Feb 08, Brian was getting "short timers" and coming home in 47 days, and there was a good discussion with great information on my question, is burning my garden area ok, which it seems to be.
I am going to have to mow it down (it was terribly neglected for 2 years) and it is now over grown with that type of grass the creeps along and grows everywhere, which is what I want to try to KILL...so my plan is
1. bush hog it, rake it then mow it low
2. rake the grass away and burn it in burn pile
3. burn the area which will be easy to do
4. use my new (but very old)disc harrow and churn all that mess up, drag and rake it well get any left over weeds out and then pile on the manure, lime, leaves etc, turn that under
5. let it sit and then have a garden area ready to plant in spring..
This seems like a really nice group, I am in one other gardening group for heirloom seeds...so I look forward to getting to know you all and always looking to learn more.