oh Math whizzes!

rob333December 4, 2013

The boy is trying to make parachutes for his science project. One is a pyramid, one is round, and one is an octagon. To be similar, he wants to make them have a similar surface area.

We want to figure out the octagon area. Do we have enough factors? So we broke it down into the surface area of the 8 triangles in the octagon. As though it was a flat sheet of paper. If the original diameter of the circle (before cutting the edge off) is 50 cm, then each of the two sides is 25 cm (a radius, right?). The angles will always be 67.5, 67.5 and 45 (right?).

So what is the formula?

What size is the base of these triangles?

What size is the height of these triangles?

Is the area of each of the triangles then multiplied by 8 to get the surface area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

Where is endorphinjunkie? I bet he would know the answer.

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 6:06PM
endorphinjunkie(z7bAlabama)

Side angle side formula. area = (1/2)(R^2)sin(45). There are 8 similar triangle in our octagon. so the total area is 1768 cm^2. This is close to the area of the circle before cutting. The area of the circle is 1963 cm^2.

The height of the triangle is found using the equation h = R*sin(45). So height = 17.7 cm.

If you want the length of each side of the octagon you could use the law of cosines. It turns out that each side will measure 19.3 cm.

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 9:22PM
anneliese_32(6)

So it takes a math question to bring our recluse around. If I had known that I would have asked some, except I could not even ask a logical one!
I am so glad to know that you are here and wish you would be more but respect your reasons.
Take care good friend and all the best.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 7:17AM
rob333

Giggling with glee! I did it! I brough him out. Endoroph! Yay! And now I can say, I miss your input, and hope all is well with you. Take care of you.

Ok now. Thank you. The boy has not made it out of Algebra, even if if it is Honors, it still isn't Geometry, Trig, etc. and he's just not getting it. Which is frustrating him. But I hope, just giving him the numbers will be enough. I still won't be able to explain it in his spatial mind well enough, this is something daddy would be better at. He speaks the boy's language better than I when it comes to physics and math. Thank you!

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 9:24AM
mawheel

Dorph, glad to see you! I read Robin's post, but didn't really have the faintest idea of what she was asking. Thanks for explaining-- even if I still don't understand! :)

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 11:16AM
rob333

One more question? What length is the base of the triangle?

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:02AM
rob333

So is it 52.2cm? Using Pythag theorum. Right?

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Where are you mwheel?
Miss your postings.
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 17 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™