What is this?

PeaceLilySamJuly 22, 2014

I thought this was a ponytail palm but the trunk is too skinny. It did have leaves a good ways down but they were all dead so i cut them off. I just rescued this plant from my aunt so any info is great. also the foil is to keep the cat out of it lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richard(inland CA, 9a)

Resembles a dracena

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:55PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

It does look like D. marginata, except for the fat part of the trunk/stem. That would be unusual on a Dracaena, from what I've seen. Could the bulbous part be buried (if Beaucarnea?) A closer pic of a leaf and of the stem could help someone recognize it more definitively.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 9:03AM
PeaceLilySam

There is no bulb buried. The leaves are about a foot and a half long and are tough. It has a long tap root.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:07PM
PeaceLilySam

Here are the leaves. Please note they don't stand up like that. I was holding them.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:11PM

Not D. marginata. Maybe a 'Ricky,' usually sold under the name D. deremensis (which seems to have been relegated to synonym of D. fragrans.)

Not 100% convinced it's a Dracaena though. The trunk just doesn't look right. Does anyone think it's a Yucca? I've never had a Yucca.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:12AM
PeaceLilySam

We have lots of yucca outside.... I don't really think this is but it could be a different type.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:24AM

So this may be a potted landscape plant? In what state or country? There are several Yuccas, not a genus I'm familiar with except for pics. Surprised nobody else has an opinion. Any bit of info about it might help, is there anything else to say?

Regardless of ID, hope it recovers well! This is the same one from house plant forum?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
need help with dahlia ID
Does anyone know the full ID for this dahlia? Just...
toad_ca
Identifying Plant
Any help identifying this plant would be appreciated....
Sari Lomax
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™