Time to Prune in SF Bay Area?

harmonypJanuary 24, 2012

Last year I pruned my roses in mid-Feb, thinking that I needed to wait until last chance of frost. Then I read on antique forum that Sacramento and San Jose gardens have already been pruning. What are pros/cons of pruning now or waiting another 3 weeks or so? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

I don't think that in our climate (I also live in the SF Bay area) any exact time/schedule matters very much. Of course, once bloomers should be pruned AFTER they bloom, but other kinds of roses never stop blooming here (never go dormant), so I don't get all exercised about the "right" time.

Hybrid tea roses, if you treat them according to conventional wisdom, should be pruned by March at the latest, but I really don't think it matters whether you do it in Jan, Feb, or March.

Old ever-blooming roses such as teas, chinas, noisettes, don't need much pruning at all in our climate, unless you are trying to keep them out of a driveway or off a path.

So -relax and enjoy! We are so lucky, and our climate is so benign, that following the strict "rules" of when to prune, that might work on the East Coast or where they have very cold winters, is not necessary. I prune my roses when/if I get around to it. No matter what I do, they keep growing and blooming all year.

Jackie

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susan4952(5)

LOL...we lower zones are still wondering...shall we salt and shovel now, or shall we wait.
I am so jealous.

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™