Road Trip!!! and you're invited!

saucydog(z5MA)October 5, 2008

Grab your jacket, it's a crisp day in New England!

We're heading out to Sherburne Falls to see the Bridge of Flowers:

The Bridge of Flowers began in 1929 - a year after the trolley bridge was abandoned, the local garden group got a "great idea" :)

It was a walkable town with lots of places to window shop, and eclectic restaurants:

Time to head down to Stockbridge to see Berkshire Botanical Garden

We arrived to find that what was described as a Harvest Fair on the website, was actually the biggest event of the year for this part of the state....ACK! People looked at us funny as we ducked behind trade tents to observe the perennial borders....

If you've got a minute, enjoy a slide show!

October42008

Thanks for coming along,

Saucy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I enjoyed that! I can't help but wonder about practical things re the Bridge of Flowers - e.g. how deep is the soil?; how is drainage managed?...

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 11:01AM
Full_Bloom(z5 IL)

Hey Saucy! Thanks for sharing your trip (like a mini-vacation for me) which is good, cause I'm still not back in the "real life" mode yet! :-)

That bridge of flowers is so cool and reminds me the first time I went to California. I was amazed to see so much lushness along the highways, plants growing over bridges, etc....I couldn't believe it, such a stark contrast to the city of Chicago...that is until Mayor Daley started encouraging all the planting here.

I love the dahlia/ageratum color combo too. Periwinkle! I just love that color of ageratum and never could think how I would describe the color.

Thanks for sharing all the beauty...

Ei

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 12:10PM
saucydog(z5MA)

Hmm, Woody, I'm not sure about drainage! The "beds" were 4ft in width and there was an irrigation hose running along the fenced sides with a spigot ever so often (making me think that it was watered by helpers wielding hoses). The "beds" were mulched with composted bark mulch.

Glad you enjoyed the little getaway, Brenda. I think I remember periwinkle being my mother's favorite crayola color :)

Saucy

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 12:27PM
Jerri_OKC(z7 Ok)

Road trips are so much fun. This was just beautiful, thanks for taking us along.

Jerri

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 12:40PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

What fun Saucy! What a neat place. I'd never heard of the bridge before you mentioned it. Great road trip, thanks for taking us along.
Deanne

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 12:45PM
lmcilhargie

I'd never heard of the bridge either. It's so pretty! Looks like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing it with us too! I enjoyed tagging along.

Eden

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 2:13PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I thought I already commented Saucy, but my brain must be mush. I love the bridge, the bee, the maple leaves...all of it. Thanks for the outing. I needed the break!

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 3:40PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Saucy....just checked out your slideshow. You had a beautiful day for the trip. So, I take it there was a no longer used railroad bridge that the community turned into a garden? Were the stores on the main street of Shelbourn Falls? Your camera is taking wonderful photos, which camera did you get again? LOVED the bee close up...you could just about count the hairs...[g]

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 5:06AM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

Saucy, That is a lovely trip. Almost as nice as going myself. How great that it was such beautiful weather. All the pics are pretty, but the Bridge is extra nice.
The roadside color and the hills look very much like it does here when the colors are on. They haven't got that far yet this fall.

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 8:29AM
flowerluvr(Z5 IN)

What a grand trip, Saucy! Thanks for taking us along. I, too, can't hear "Berkshires" without thinking of James Taylor. The colors and textures in your pictures are fabulous, and that bee shot is by far the best I've seen. It looks so fuzzy and cute!
The dahlia pictures are tempting me. I'm so terrible about getting them dug for storage in the fall. Lol, can't imagine why--what else could there possibly be to do on a farm in the fall??
Thanks for taking us along, it looks like you're having a wonderful time playing with that camera!
Brenda

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 9:07AM
chloehoover(z6b VA)

Very cool, Saucy! Thanks for taking us along - I wonder if we could get "fly on wall" credits in your gardening class, LOL?

Cindy

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 9:47AM
chelone

That was great! I loved the Berkshire Botanical Gardens. We visited them when we went to Tanglewood in... what year was that?

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 4:07PM
michelle_zone4

What a lovely trip. The bridge is a very cool idea. The rose garden we went to in Duluth last year is on top of the interstate.

I love the clarity of your closeups.

Thanks for the cardoon. I'll have to post a picture of the one I have in the potager. It has become monstrous.

Michelle

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 4:21PM
dodgerdudette

Saucy , your are doing so well with FNC (that would be Fancy New Camera) and I loved the visit to the bridge et. al.I think my fave were the bee shot and the tree-awning combo..good eye !

Kathy in Napa

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 10:22PM
triple_creek(z5)

My kind of Road Trip Saucy. It was just what I would like to be doing now. You should have bought the plaque and incorporated it on a gate or tufa piece. Your pictures are so sharp and colorful. Thanks., Norma

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 9:01PM
ctlavluvr

Saucy -- So glad you got to see this. When I did most of my work in Massachusetts this was a frequent "getaway from the job" spot to stop. Never got close enough at this time of year to see what the put in, so Thank You for the closeups and taking us along!!

Martie

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 6:59AM
jak1(4 Ontario Can)

What a lovely day! I felt like I was really along with you - thanks for the invite!

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 7:39AM
just_t

Thank you for sharing another beautiful fall tour!

T.

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Please help me figure out what this perennial is called:)
I got this on clearance from lowes a couple years ago...
mrsmodernhousewife
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
Its alive!
Our area experienced the coldest average temperature...
rouge21_gw
Sponsored Products
New Day 9 Wall Art
Grandin Road
Edge Vinyl Office Chair in Tan
$140.00 | LexMod
Bruck | V/A Track Kit 26
$285.00 | YLighting
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Giant Fern Espresso 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Two Conventry Side Chairs - HONEYSUCKLE WHITE
$599.00 | Horchow
Turquoise Ribbon Small Cake Plate
$44.99 | zulily
Americh Wright 6036 Tub (60" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
15752AZT Bronze 12.4 Watts Medium Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™