He's at it again!!! Cooking adventure. # 543

agnespuffinDecember 31, 2011

Yep! He's in the kitchen and here I sit, listening, quivering, chewing my nails, etc.

We had one big left over pork chop and he thought he'd like to try making Pork Fried Rice like I do.

Fine! The problem is that when you cook "by guess and by golly" like I do, it's hard to sit down and tell someone else what to do.

So I started by asking him what he intended to put in it. He passed that part. On to the next step.... Cutting up the veggies...(I offered to help, but he wanted to do it ALL)

I think I told him everything. I hope I didn't leave out anything important.

It's easy. Right??? Right!

Be Still My Heart. This isn't going to take long. I just hope I can stay out of the kitchen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

Well, it's over and his Pork Fried Rice was truly delicious. I don't know how he does it. He's getting a little proud of his accomplishment in the kitchen so I think he's about due for a big failure.

Maybe I should suggest a cake???

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 8:16PM
lilosophie

I don't know Aggie, that would not be a real test, baking, particularly sweet stuff, is an entirely different skill from cooking, I think it would be unfair to judge a failed cake compared to the good cooking skills he has - and if he doesn't fail, where does that leave you?

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 9:10PM
west_gardener

Lol, my biggest failure in cooking was when I tried to make chicken and dumplings for the first time. I went to check on the dish, and the dumplings were totally gone and I mean gone from the pot.I still don't know what happened but I kept experimenting and eventually I was able to make some great dumplings. Cooking is not a given, it takes trial and error.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 9:36PM
gabriell_gw

You're a lucky lady to have your husband cook for you. Just enjoy it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 11:14PM
mawheel

Agnes, let him get as proud as he wants! As long as he's willing to cook and is being successful, just enjoy it!

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 1:24PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

I think it's great that he's not only cooking, but it turns out to be good. By guess&golly cooking may be contagious.

Is he -or you- writing down the recipes? Even guess-&-golly recipes are better than none. I found an old notebook where I had written some when I taught my kid brother basic cookery. The trouble with B%G cooking is that after a few years, one forgets just what went in; those old notes reminded me of a wonderful marinade, and a great sauce for veggie stirfry, and a yummy casserole, none of which I have made in a couple decades. I had gone on to other recipes and in the process, forgot about these.

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Where are you mwheel?
Miss your postings.
west_gardener2
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™