fountain base does not have a hole to hide cord

maggie_berry(z6CT)May 9, 2010

I bought a used concrete fountain from an ad. The fountain is 5 feet tall with two doves on top. The only tier sits on a concrete base. The concrete base does not have a hole going through it. It has one tier, a basin for the pump and doves on top of the basin that water shoots up from. My issue is that the there is no hole for the electrical cord to go through the base and plugged into the out let. the seller had the electrical outlet coming out of the side of the fountain with the cord dangling down from the tier. The fountain was a great deat at $125.oo but now I am wondering if Iam missing a piece of the fountain or if some fountains do have cords hanging off of them verses coming out from the bottom. Do think a piece is missing from the fountain? Is there a good website that shows where the cord comes from? Do you have any ideas how you would disguise the cord. Would you drill through the base. I am going to go solar for this fountain and for the price I can work with your ideas. I have googles my heart out, help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1(7B SC)

I'd get a cement drill bit and drill a hole through it. To seal the hole around the cord, I think I'd use Great Stuff foam. That stuff sticks to anything and seals great.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:46AM
maggie_berry(z6CT)

Thank You Ccoombs1,
I am so very tempted to do just that. But you just put another thought in my head. I am thinking that maybe I could tape the cord to the base and spray the cord with good stuff and paint over the good stuff or just paint over the cord....

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 7:22PM
ernie_m

"Good stuff?" Well I've heard of GREAT stuff but not good stuff That stuff gets messy fast, but fortunately it trims off nice.

Drilling thru even a short piece of concrete can be a huge job, even with the right bit. How large is the base? I hook all sorts of things together in my yard with those electrical ties. I get them in black and white and use whatever is most unobtrusive. 2 or more can be strung together if you need larger. With the ends cut off they get lost fast.

But bottom line it sounds to me like you got the base to a different fountain. If it were me I'd start by asking where I got it.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 3:16PM
maggie_berry(z6CT)

Ernie_m, You are indeed wise. I really screwed this thing up. I bought a used 5 foot tall concrete fountain from a yard sale for $125. The base is 3 feet tall with a fluted bowl and two doves on top. At the time, I had looked at so many smaller fountains for triple the money and in resin that I did not let the - obvious slow me down. Now I have to scratch my head and agree with you this has got to be a group of different parts that fit together to form a fountain. ) Now, I have a classic looking fountain that is going to look crazy with a electrical cord flying off of it. My choices are to skip the concept of a fountain and just treat it like a giant bird bath or planter.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™