A tribute to Keebler
This is a little tribute to my loyal dog Keebler who was with us for fourteen years until yesterday.
Some of you may remember the story of how he got his name. His mother was a stray who had a litter of pups in a hollow tree. Hence his name Keebler (as in the Keebler elves of cookie fame).
I found him beside the road while walking one day. He was just a young dog when we moved to this property and established Triple Creek. He was allowed to run free on our 52 acres and stayed with me whatever I was doing waiting patiently for me to finish. Always ready for a walk. Always welcoming us home with an excited bark. Warning of any approaching visitors as soon as they turned in the driveway.Patient and gentle with the grandkids. Barely tolerant of a new puppy (Rebel) that pulled on his tail constantly, but who he came to accept as a pal. He will be greatly missed.
And on a lighter note:
TO GOD: from the dogs
Dear God: Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell
Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it
still the same old story?
Dear God: Why are there cars named after the jaguar, the cougar, the
mustang, the colt, the stingray, and the rabbit, but not ONE named for
a dog? How often do you see a cougar riding around? We do love a nice
ride! Would it be so hard to rename the "Chrysler Eagle" the Chrysler
Dear God: If a dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears
him, is he still a bad dog?
Dear God: We dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand
signals, whistles, horns, clickers, beepers, scent ID's,
energy fields, and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?
Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.
Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to
Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must
remember in order to be a good dog;
1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they
2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc., just because I
like the way they smell.
3. The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.
4. The sofa is not a 'face towel'.
5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff
6. My head does not belong in the refrigerator.
7. I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for Mom's
driver's license and registration.
8. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the
9. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of
- I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the
- I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house
- not after.
I will not throw up in the car.
I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.
I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch
when we have company.
- The cat is not a 'squeaky toy' so when I play with him and he
that noise, it's usually not a good thing.
And, finally, my last question...
Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back?