Quotes, December 21, 2011

husky004_(z5 NY)December 21, 2011

Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home!

- Charles Dickens

A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.

- Garrison Keillor

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gandle(4 NE)

Both great quotes. I'm glad Christmas is compulsory or some years I might say "bah, humbug".

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 3:58PM
lilosophie

Gandle, It's ok to say Bah Humbug to parts of it, it is such a multidimensional occasion, one doesn't have to like everything - how do you feel about the "Little Drummer Boy"?

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 4:35PM
gandle(4 NE)

Well, its not my favorite piece of Chritmas music. In fact, if I hear it one more time I may throw something at the TV or radio. Kind of ranks in with Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 8:00PM
don_socal

I take my tenor recorder with me to the VA hospital to amuse myself and annoy every one else between appointments. There is a wisp of a lady that stands next to the main elevators and gives directions and general cheer to any one that looks like they need it. She and I have become friends and I have been standing next to her this month playing Christmas carols. I have been careful not to play obnoxious ones that make people grate their teeth so there have been a few comments about a hat for change and a lot of smiles. Today was the last day for the carols so I have to figure what will be good for my next bit of fun. Guess we make a good team.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 23 - 15
Every major player is working on this technology of...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 15 - 15
Try to make at least one person happy every day. If...
don_socal
For poetry fans
I investigate A.Word.A.Day, on wordsmith.org, every...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
My Father the Philosopher - a story
My father the philosopher The regulars here are literate...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 3 - 14 - 15
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Umbrella Frog Rain Gauge
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Artemide | Logico Floor Lamp
YLighting
Minka Aire Gyro 42" Ceiling Fan
LBC Lighting
Tech Lighting Fluid 5 1/4" Square Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Artehouse Bernese Mountain Dog Blue Wooden Wall Art - 14W x 20H in. - 0004-3038-
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Produzione Privata | Acquaparete Wall Light
$680.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™