Slowing down but not out yet!

woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)October 9, 2011

Things are definitely on the down side of the garden season but fall is just begining. Only the ash tree has fall color here and is starting to lose leaves. The pots of Golden Forest Grass in the patio bench were emptied - the grasses planted down under the pines near the shed - earlier in the week. The pots are washed and ready to go into the shed for the winter. The big pot of elephant ears on the patio will remain out for another couple of weeks yet.

Hydrangeas are some of my favorite plants because many of them just keep going and going...

Blushing Bride:

Little Lamb:

Little Lamb with White Moth:

The angel roses hips are coloring nicely now and they're still flowering too:

We had a huge crop of highbush cranberries this year. (I suspect heavy pruning of the shrubs will be needed in the spring because they are so bowed down under the weight of the fruit that I doubt they'll stand up straight again!) The berries that are hanging over the white mums are making a nice picture together at the moment. Those mums came from a neighbour and are the only ones I've ever been able to grow successfully in the ground as a long-lived perennial.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I agree about Hydrangeas. I have a friend in Oregon who can grow varieties I've never even seem here...

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 5:25PM
michelle_zone4

Woody, things are looking great in your garden yet. I agree about the hydrangeas too. They really give a good 3 seasons of interest.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 12:06AM
dodgerdudette

My Hydrangeas are done for here Woody, I think no rain for 4 months or so does them in. I'm not good at providing supplemental irrigation to shrubs, instead I focus on the perennials and the containers. Love those berries !

Kathy in Napa

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Its alive!
Our area experienced the coldest average temperature...
rouge21_gw
Will the Epimediums make it?
The epimediums ( I have about 20 different varieties)...
laceyvail
how to get rid of yucca FOREVER?
the previous owners must have adored them, as there...
creamgogo
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™