Jury duty

gandle(4 NE)December 12, 2011

Received a summons today for district court jury duty. I know because of age I can opt out but not even sure I want to . Served once on a federal jury almost 30 years ago. I was working then of course and resented the time I spent away from a fledgling business but now for some reason I have lots of spare time. Did have to fill out a form with all pertinent info so we'll see. Sign of the times, they won't notify me by mail if I am chosen. Have to log on to a URL on a certain day or call a toll free number if I am to serve. Wonder why the post office is in bad shape. The government won't even use it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope(6)

I had to go in for a jury selection yesterday......timely thread. Spent half a day in the court room until the panel was interrogated and finally sat. Same routine here. One calls in by phone just prior to the trial time.

You did likely receive your notification you were on the roster of potential jurors(and informational form) by mail though, no? I also did. Then I received my actual summons giving the time and date of the trial by mail also. Maybe you will as well. It came with the directions to call the night before the trial.

This is something that really can't be done via the postal service efficiently because right on up to immediately pre-trial the negotions continue for plea bargaining with the possibility that the trial will be cancelled. If the jurors show up and the trial has been cancelled, they still must be paid for their attendance by the courts.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 7:11AM
anneliese_32(6)

We have a 75 years of age cut-off.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 8:28PM
west_gardener

Wow, anneliese, age discrimination in jury duty.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 7:22PM
don_socal

Only served once when working for the city, hard to do when you are the whole business.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 7:46PM
west_gardener

don_social, you're right about that. A neighbor (female) was called and told the judge that her DH had lost his job and she was now the sole bread winner, she paid the mortgage and put the food on the table. She was excused.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 21 - 15
What is a television apparatus to man, who has only...
don_socal
Calling from outer space now
Internet service now via satellite, free installation...
lilosophie
Quotes 3 - 15 - 15
Try to make at least one person happy every day. If...
don_socal
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 19 - 15
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Low Voltage 18-Watt Outdoor Copper
Home Depot
Cherry Table Phone
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Wire Twist Black 86-inch to 120-inch Double Curtain Rod
$59.95 | Bellacor
Studio Ceiling Fan by Craftmade
$297.00 | Lumens
Cherry Twin Mate's Platform Storage Bed with 3 Drawers
Overstock.com