I'm growing mushrooms

west_gardenerDecember 11, 2011

I'm growing mushrooms indoors. It is another experiment and it actually works. I found the site linked below at gardenweb, talking about a kit for growing oyster mushrooms. I bought a kit and started it on 12/6/2011 and as of today, 12/11/2011 I have mushrooms growing. Oh, the things I learn from GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Mushrooms

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

BTW, I remember years and years ago when we had a thread about Morels here at GP. I'm going to look around for some info about how to grow Morels.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 9:41PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

Good luck with the morels. They are very picky. But delish. I think you might be wasting your money on a kit. But I hope not.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 9:34AM
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

That's cool West! Those kits have always fascinated me too.

We now have a Morel kit: 56 mostly-wooded acres in a part of the state that's known for Morels. Come May, I'll let you know how that's working out! (Hopefully, better than this year, which got too hot too soon for Morels).

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 9:49AM
west_gardener

Lol, jazmynsmom , I sure got a kick out of your size morel kit. Please keep us informed. Tibs said the Morels were picky.
I'm in the experimental process re mushrooms.
It took 6 days from starting the kit with oyster mushrooms to see actual mushrooms.
I find it interesting.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 8:32PM
calliope(6)

Speaking of growing fungi.........I remember one particularly hot, humid summer in Missouri. Our old house had several bathrooms near the bedroom area and a toadstool started growing at the base of one of the commodes. Probably because of condensation off the porcelain bowl. We carefully cleaned around it and left it to grow just on general principles. A stool with a toadstool under it.

Morels are picky......hunted them all my life when in areas where they are indiginous. Being careful not to harvset so many that the spores are not left for future colonies. They can be found in certain conditions, preferring to grow under the decaying logs of particular species of trees. In our state, May would be way too long to wait to harvest a morel........one watches for particular weather conditions too. It hits here more around a late Easter time.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 17 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™